Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rechroming

KSever

Has anybody gotten prices on having tractor parts rechromed? I'm going down tomorrow and get estimates to have the Landlord grill bracket, wheels, air cleaner cover, and lift arm redone in chrome. I have a place about 5 miles away from me so it's not too far. Was just curious if anybody had already done this?

I had the side panels and the arm rest brackets for the B1 done last year and it sure makes it look a lot nicer.I can not give you a price as I got it done free.A nice lady at work husband works at a plating shop here.I did give him a stick of sausage for the job.Looks better that new.Bob

Kevin - Here in Milwaukee there are a lot of plating shops. I have had several parts from old appliances re-chromed for pretty reasonable. For example, an 9" round drip pan from an old (but very good) gas stove was done for $10. If you can't find a good deal, maybe you want to drop off parts next time you get down here? Tom Schmitit, in Milwaukee

This guy at the plating shop told me today that rechroming the lift arm and the front grill bracket on the Landlord would not turn out that good. Said it had too many low current areas and recommended having them powder coated chrome. That this would turn out much better. The low current areas being the weld joints, these parts were originally chromed and then welded together onto the other steel thats painted.

Powder Coated Chrome huh.I wounder how that would look.Anyone seen it?Wonder if it looks more like real chrome than that chrome spray paint that just looks like silver. Another option might be to use chrome vinyl or tape.Might be hard to do though?

hi i bought an old b10 awhile back and the guy had a friend rechrome the plates on the side of the front grill and the emblem they look great - if you look really close you can see minor defects - but otherwise they look great ! - sorry i dont know what it would cost to actually have it done

Can a plastic grill be chromed? I was thinking about after I get a new grill for my 4211, having that done for a "custom" look. I think it would look pretty cool.