Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Best current digital pic compression software?

thedaddycat

What's the best free software out there for compressing digital images? The Number One Priority is that it has to be easy to use, "Sailor Proof" as we used to call it.... I tried to find a recent post about it, for some reason I didn't get a hit. Maynard, wasn't it you who had the low-down on a good site? Thanks for the help. If I can get it to work you'll see quite a sight......

Kirk I think the Irfanview is idiot proof. I don't have any problem with it so it must be "Sailor Proof". Just remember to save as a different file name so you don't mess up the original.

I hav a question about all this, The pictures I post I only make them smaller. I take them full size 3.1 megapixel then I drop them down to 30 percent. They sure fill the screen on this site. So what is the difference if They are compressed, or just made smaller in my software with the edit function? Thanks

Scott, In the .jpg format, you can choose the amount of "color detail" shown in the picture, for lack of a better description, without changing the screen size of the picture. (A JPG can use up to 16 million colors.) I can compress files to about 25% - 30% of their original file size, without changing the screen size of the picture, without it really being noticeable. You're likely using some compression whether you realize it or not, depending on the software you're using... Try searching the Help file in your graphics program and see if describes compression, and how to set/change it....

Scott, When I post to this website, I try and keep the width to 480 so you don't have to scroll sideways to see it. I try and keep the size below 100k. Take a look at the front clutch photo in this topic > http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13011 It is 640x480 and the size is 50k.

What I'm looking for is to load some pics that are over the 100K limit. This happened because my wife used the camera and changed the setting to "Best". You get great pics but they're bigger. I use the lowest quality just so I can upload directly from the flash card(Removable Drive D:) to the site.

This one isn't free... but it's a good bargain for what it does. Paint Shop Pro is the #2 graphics program in the world. It started as a Shareware program, and they still provide a free trial version for download. (Photoshop is the #1 program, but it's about 3 times the price...) I've used this one for several years. http://www.jasc.com/products/psp/

Hi Kent,Herb, Yes when I make the picture smaller It comes up close to the 640x480. That way we don't have to do the side to side scrolling. I will check with my software to see what it is doing to the pictures. Thanks ya'll

Kent is right on about Paint Shop Pro, it is not only less money, but is fairly easy to use. Plus you can do a lot more than just resize and change the DPI on your pictures. JoeJ