Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

got the 2010- Wife martyered

Tom_Byrne

THE GOOD: I picked up my 2010 yesterday from Jeff Nemes. Nice tractor with the vac system and cart, pics probably still posted on Jeffs Used Mower Site under "as is" tractors if anyone wants to look. Can hardly wait ot start fixin n paintin. THE BAD: I was unloading it in my driveway off the truck with ramps. My wife was on one side to to make sure it stayed on the ramps as I brought it down. Apparently, the deck caught the ramp and pushed it off the tailgate and landed on her toes. THE UGLY: All five toes are badly bruised but not broke. I felt (and sill feel) like crap for getting her involved. She is a trooper, though. She wanted to help and jumped right in to help, and just says that these things happen. She is much better this morning and She and I will dance at her parents 50th wedding anniversairy party today.THE MORAL: You can't be too careful when loading/unloading. She could have been seroiusly hurt. Thank God she wasn't. She loves my hobbies as much as me and I don't know what I would do without her.

Ouch, Tom. I can feel that sympathetic pain from here. Hope, she recovers quickly, without too, much dislike for your new machine.

One cannot over emphasize the importance of taking care when loading or unloading equipment.Many of us use the wrong ramps or jury rigged ramps made of planks. I nailed two pieces of 1x1 to the ends to help keep the planks from sliding off the tail gate. Just my two cents worth. Fred Wood

That was the worst part, Fred. I was using good ($200) aluminum ramps with tailgate bends on the ends and rubber on them. They had never slid off before.

Tom on those, or any metal ramps I always have chain hooked back to the bumper from the ramp near the tailgate, and a piece of chain holding the two ramps together. Knock on wood, we never seem to have any problem with slippage this way. Just a thought! Larry

Sounds bad when the ramp slides off sorry to hear about your wife Tom, hobe she gets ready to dance... but maybe we shoud state the importance of safety shoes ? There are a lot of things out there that can go wrong. Tue

I like to back into a ditch to unload.I have had a few bad things happen to me when unloading also but nobody got injured yet and hope never will.Hope she gets better quick.Bob

Always a problem when loading or unloading a tractor with a deck on it. They high center when they have wheels on ramp and wheels in truck. The best thing I ever used was a small tiltbed trailer. It can also be used around the yard. Ken

Take the tailgate off and put the ramps right on the bumper. You get a little bit lower angle of approach and in my experience they stay put better.

Hope this doesn't dampen your wifes love of your tractoring Tom. Glad she didn't hurt bad and hope you dance good, no toe stepping.. Steel toe boots are great, except in airports...MPH