Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

RE: Fuel and Guest test

Probably draining is the best, but stabilizer is better than just leaving it. You need to put the stabilizer in the gas while it is fresh to be most effective. That is why it is recommended not to buy more than a months supply at a time. Stabilizers work well, but do not re-juvenate fuel. It is easier to burn Winter fuel in the Spring than it is to get Summer fuel to start in the Winter in these small engine applications. This fuel situation and emmissions has really become complicated in the last few years. Hope I helped, Hope this don't sound like Preaching, it is not meant that way. If it soumds that way say so and I'll try to do better. Thanks Al

So is it better to leave new fuel in the summer stuff with the stabilizer for the winter or to drain it dry? Or is it a horse apiece?

Thanks Al, I've always thought that it was better to leave the stabilzed stuff in the carb to prevent the gaskets from drying out to much and leaking later. In our stuff some gets cleaned and drained early, but other equipment sometimes gets setaside and neglected until later in the winter. This is particularly true of the 2 cycle weed whacker! It live a tough life and is usually the last thing of the season to be retired, usully in the barn until the first snow. Appreciate the opinion, by the way our 613H twin cyl just started filling the crankcase with fuel (way too exciting!!!!) Any idea if the carb or the fuel pumps on them were/are suseptable to this? I haven't dug into it yet and my new manual hasn’t arrived as yet so I’m trolling for information and opinions about this as well. Thanks for your time, Warren