Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New arrival in the family!

goatfarmer

[img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2//uploaded/goatfarmer/newsimp4.JPG[/img] This followed me home Sunday!I guess I have to keep it! 1993 model,purchased from the original owner. Dealer told him that it has a knock in it because of a bad rod.Had it running,didn't hear any rattle.So far,only found a bad fuel pump.Only cost $300.00,which was the best part!

You might want to take off the head/s and look for excessive carbon build up. I have had a few people bring in their tractors with that same complaint of rod knocking, take off the head/s and there is a build up of carbon in the head 50% or more and an imprint where the piston has been smacking it. Clean up carbon and reinstall head/s and knocking is gone. I have seen this where the the tractor is overpowered 16-18 HP on a 36-38" deck and the engine has not really had to work hard enough to seat the rings.

65 Tempest,with 65 GTO grilles,and hood,and a 69 400 under that hood. Thanks for the info,Bob.I'll get it running steady,and see what it sounds like. This one is only 12.5 hp,so I don't think it's overpowered.This dealer condemned the rod without taking anything apart.Might have been trying to get a cheap tractor on trade.

Ken Try an old racers trick. Get it to operating temp.with it running at about half throttle spray water in to the carb. If there is any carbon build up this will clean it out. Spay it heavy enough to make the engine run ruff but not stall it. If it was a down draft carb I would say use a Coke bottle and pour it in. This also works to clean fouled spark plugs.