Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rebuild 16HP B&S-COST??

Rufus

I have a 16 hp B&S engine that needs a complete rebuild. The reason I say complete is the piston is really lose in the cylinder. Valves have some wear. It is an older engine. ModelTypeCode: 326431 0020-01 7910291 I feel this would be a great engine to put on my Simplicity 7010. I picked it up at an auction in a lot of 5 various for $45. I would like a rough idea what it is gonna cost to get a complete rebuild. Any ides would be appreaciated. Thanks

Rufus, welcome. To rebore the cylinder, turn down the crank, replace piston, rod, valves, bearings, new gaskets, seals, points, condenser, spark plug, and air filter, you are looking at a maximum of about $400, if you provide the labor. Add about $200 to $250 if you have to hire labor. You may not need all of this done so the cost could be much lower, but it gives you an idea. You could cut cost even more by using generic parts. Properly done and well maintained, this engine should last a long time. Pat

Welcome Rufus. I'm with Pat on this one. Around here(Kentucky)it will run around $600-$700 to have a shop rebuild that engine completely IF the block and head are not damaged. I would rather build one of these cast iron babies than go with anything new if possible. The cast iron engines will last if properly maintained, and they have great power and sound super. Stonegod welcome to you also! You are right about the Honda being a great engine. I just like to see "old iron" saved and used whenever possible. Larry

Before you go into a complete rebuild check out the bore. It might be just a simple thing to re-ring it. I am asumming bore is not galled.