Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Right hand lift lever for a B-series

BrownA

Recently a used right hand lift lever assembly sold for approx. $135.00 on Ebay. There were a lot of bids on it including mine. I decided I would fabricate my own and started to do some research on them to understand how they work. Well I have been working on it for about a week now ( here and there ) and today I am getting some of the pieces tack welded together. From there I will see how it is working ( without a implement ) just moving, catching, etc., then if my idea appears correct I will have it all welded. I thought I would copy the original design as much as I could but without one I can only guestimate on measurements. So far it looks pretty good. I changed the idea of the handle a little to make it more similar to the left hand one. If it works well I might decide to make a bunch up and offer them for sale after I figure out how much is invested in making them. Has anyone made one or used one on a B series tractor. They have :)got to be a very hand extra to have. Any thoughts on them ?

If you're using more that one implement at a time, some sort of dual lift is almost a "must". I added an LH OEM manual lift to my 7010 w/ electric lift. Works great. I'd guess making a RH lift from scratch is expensive, unless they were mass produced. When I find the time, I'm going to try and modify a LH lever to work on the RH side.

Herb, Believe it or not, so far it hasn't been so bad. The most difficult part is getting the measurements figured out only going from pictures. The stock is not bad if I buy enough to make a quantity of them. Time will tell with this project. Tonight I might post some more results after my welder tacks some of the pieces together. Of course if I make them up the second one will probably be better than the first. I will hopefully use less pieces and have less welding done. Some of the stock I am using now is scrap I have kicking around. I will keep you all informed of it.

Does anyone have a picture of the right hand lever when mounted? I, like Dutch, was thinking of adapting a LH lever from a 410 to a RH mount for my AC 716 or the AC 712 under construction. I have never even seen a RH mount and don't understand how they work in conjunction with the LH lift that actually connects on the right side of the tractor.

Here's the Owner's Manual for a B-series Right Lift Lever. http://www.simpletractors.com/operation/right_lift_lever.htm They bolt on the end of the lift shaft, and pivot on a bushing -- i.e. they're not keyed to that lift shaft. They are useful only for front or center attachments. The quadrants for them only have a position to lock on each end, and one location in between. You can see a picture of the quadrant on my Big Ten here, though I haven't gotten the lever fabricated yet. http://simpletractors.com/images/big10_delux/Dcp00296.jpg IMO, modifying a left lever to work on the right would be a pretty big challenge, because the angle of the lift lever and the "latch" that needs to engage the quadrant's "stops" are both backwards....

Rod, The RH lift levers for the later model tractors did not bolt to the cross-shaft, rather they used a separate mount. Kent, Don't know about the B-series, but the LH lift levers on the later model tractors appear to be easily reversable. The "hardest" mod would be to fabricate a quadrant with the opposite angle. Maybe I'll try this in the next month or so.

Dutch, Unless I'm mistaken, the picture you show illustrates the difficulty that I'm talking about. The rod (7) that attaches to the thumb button (9) and the "catch" (11) comes out of the lift arm on the opposite side from a left lift lever. I've tried to figure out how I could use either an original left lever for my B-series, or the later 7000/7100 style (I have a couple of NOS ones) and it looks tough to me.... I want to get a lever from a Broadmoor or one of the B-206/207/208 size machines and used a right-side lever to see how that might work.

Dave-Saratoga
I was the winning bidder for that right-hand lift on eBay - I'd be happy to provide you with some measurements off mine. what dimensions do you need?

Well, I got all my parts tack welded today. After it was all tacked I tried it on the tractor to see if I was on the money or not. I have the handle made and the quadrant made. Next I have to bend up a lift lever latch and make the rod that goes thru the handle. I think the hardest parts are now behind me. The handle assembly that I made is more like a left hand handle. The bottom portion is made of 5/16" x 2" flat and the upper part is tube ( not pipe ) with a outside diameter of 1". Toward the top of the tube ( part under the handle grip ) the original had two dimples. These kept the spacer from falling down. What I did to duplicate that effect is I drilled and tapped the piece of tube with 10/24. I screwed in two short pieces and then had them welded up on the outside. I found a spring at the local hardware store that appears to be about the same strength and I have the 5/16" rod which I will thread the top and have to figure out the bends for the bottom. I have spent a lot of time trying to figue dimensions out but like I said before I think the worst is behind me now. As soon as I can get some pictures I will try to share them.

I was just looking at modifing a spare right hand lift handle off one of my parts Broadmoors the other day. It doesn't look too hard, but you would have to change the angle of the lift lever latch that mounts on the frame. Since the Broadmoors are a pretty straight frame at this location and my Landlord is at an angle. Someday I'll get around to modifing it to fit.

Guys, The reason that I was considering the RH lever in the first place is that the lever from the AC 410 that I just acquired, comes off the opposite side from the lever on my 716H. Check one of these out. I think it would be a pretty easy modification.

Having done a little research to understand these levers, this is what I figured out. Please correct me if I am wrong. Based upon pictures of the right hand lift lever and based upon pictures of a right hand lift lever from a older Broadmoor or AC 207 I would guess that Simplicity used the same handle assembly. My guess is that they just modified ( offset bend on bottom ) their existing handles to make them adapt to a R.H. lift lever for the B-series. From looking at a actual right hand lift lever off a older Broadmoor or AC 206,7,8 I noticed that lever is not the same length as the original left hand lift levers. Can anyone who has the right hand lever confirm this with a actual measurement from top to bottom. I thought my design would try to be as close to the left hand lever so if you had two levers on the tractor at the same time they would look the same in height. I do think a lift lever from a broadmoor or AC could work if the offset bend could be duplicated on the bottom. One of the other problems with using one of them is that they do appear to have the correct 3/4" diameter hole on the bottom but it is welded to the cross shaft that runs on the underneath the tractor. This weld faces the inside so you have to look to see that its there. It definately can be done. Like anything it depends on skill, resources and determination. The other differances are minor. The quadrant is also different. I like to keep things looking like they are as close to stock if possible so that everything looks to be in proportion and looks like it was made to be there. I will keep everyone posted as I move along with this project. If someone can get me the measurement of the right hand lift lever I would greatly appreciate it to try to confirm my observations and thoughts, thanks, Al

Update on my progress, Today I did some more work on the quadrant adding the stops on each end. I also cut the rectangular hole for the lever latch to fit in. I bent up the rod that runs inside the tube as well as made the lever latch. The toughest part was getting the rod bent correctly. It's pretty much complete with the exception of drilling a couple holes and figuring out what I am going to use on the top for the hexagon piece that you push down on. At this time I am pretty pleased with the progress. I don't have a digital camera but figured I would take some pictures anyway. I went to move the frame of the tractor, just the shell which I was using for measurements. I had it up on three jack stands, ( 3 is always a bad number for jack stands ) and tried to move it when it fell off the stands, OOPS ! That wasn't suppose to happen. So that told me it's time to quit for the day. I hope to get some pictures to share with everyone soon. Next project is the hydraulic lift and then the loader.

Yesterday I drilled the holes in the handle for the front lift rod as well as the straight flat bar the hangs to lift a mower or grader blade. I noticed that the original bar that hangs and raises the mower gave me a problem with it's bolt head hitting on my new handle. It only hit when I went all the way to the back or all the way to the front. So I drilled a new hole 3/4" above it on the front lift lever assembly, Thats the piiece that slides on the lift shaft that uses two keys and a allen head screw. When I moved the bar to the new hole everything worked well. The only other problem I see is on the front lift lever assembly ( just mentioned ) there is not much clearance in the forward position between it and the quadrant. I am thinking about cutting the top portion of the assembly and welding it offset to give me more room. Even without the quadrant on the tractor my lift lever assembly did not give much space between it and the tractor. Does anyone else have this problem ?

Al, Do you have any pictures or sketches of the mounting hub and bushing that fits over the existing shaft? I am thinking of fabricating one of these RH lifts from a 410 lift handle and want to install it on an AC 712(late model) tractor. I assume that you remove the fixed lever and the RH lever rotates on that same shaft. I have or can build the arm and quadrant. I'm just trying to figure out the design of the new hub that will rotate on the existing shaft, since there are keyways in this shaft. Herb, From the picture that you posted above, I can't tell where the mounting bracket attaches. Does it bolt directly to the arm on the crossshaft, or does it bolt to the frame? If it bolts to the frame, then where is this mount located? I'm looking to set up one of my tractors (RBT or FDT? Not sure)with the second lift to use front and belly blades separately with both mounted.

Rod, The OEM RH lever bracket bolts to the existing RH cross bar arm. What I plan on doing is to remove the OEM RH cross bar arm, and install an OEM LH arm without the keys. That will permit it to turn independant of the cross bar and permit an LH OEM lever to bolt to it. I suppose I should stop guessing and tackle this mod.

Herb, That is what I was originally thinking, but I was sort of concerned about wear, since there woul not be a bronze bearing insert. It would be steel on steel. I guess it would still last longer than I will be around. The LH lift arm from an AC 410 actually tilts to the rear, instead of forward like the AC 716. It should work fine on the RH side. If I install it your way, all I need to do is remove the existing lever, remove the keys, drill the shaft for a bolt to hold the lever in place, and install the parts. I think the existing quadrant can also be used, since it only has detents at one end. There are three at the end that would be forward on the RH side. I may have to weld up two of these, and make one at the other end.