Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

312 honeymoon is over...

Dadsy98

A few weeks ago my AC312 variable speed drive was slipping. I removed the seat deck to adjust the belt and check the clutch. While I was at it I checked the bolts for the bgb and frame mounts. I found two bolts missing on the left side of the bgb! The other four were loose. Also, had a missing bolt for the frame and found the other frame bolts loose. Yesterday I bought the bolts, cut to size and installed them. This made me think about the differences between the AC 300 and 400 series compared to the Simplicity models. My other tractors , a 7010 and a 2110 are easy to get to the belt , clutch and brake systems. The seat deck simply lifts up and provides access. I’ve checked the fastners on these as well and found them to be tight. The AC312 is a great machine BUT, The designers of that equipment just were not thinking the day they dreamed these models up. I understand the need at that time was for a competing design due to the government regulations. It’s just a chore to have to remove 16 bolts, lock washers and nuts to gain access to heart of the power transmission system. Simple, routine maintenance is difficult. Every owner of a 300 or 400 series tractor should take the time to thoroughly check their machines. At least once in the spring and again in the fall. Just realize it’ll take the WHOLE morning or afternoon to do it. The Simplicity machines are quick in comparision. Well, thanks for letting me grumble. Steve

I always thought it was kinda "cute" how they extensivly used pop rivets to hold those tractors together......I had to replace the battery box in one and I'll tell ya, they were not engineered for disassembling and putting back together again. I think the engineers decided putting them together on the assembly line was going to be a one way trip:D

I was given a junk 410 around Christmas. Even though it has a spare transmission for the other tractor (712S) that I am putting together, the frame and sheetmetal design is terrible. I thought about rebuilding it, but it is not worth it with the amount of rust it has and the overall design of the tractor. I'll stick with the AC 700 series tractors. Putting together my second one of them and love them.