Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Diet Rust Buster?

thedaddycat

I recall it being mentioned that cola would free up a rusted part. Well, I couldn't find any regular so I decided to try diet.... lol.

Well how about that??? This has been soaking in PB Blaster and other penetrating oil for a few weeks, came right off with the soda. I'm not sure if it was the soda or all that time with the oil.

One thing I noticed about the end of the shaft(this is the lift shaft for the hydraulic lift that's coming out of the 2210) is that the end is cut down a little bit. Is that so you can smack it with a hammer and still get the lift arm off even if it upsets(mushrooms) slightly?

Kirk, not sure if its true or not, but the guy who first told me about useing coke said not to quit on the project once you 'coke it' cuz it'll really rust solid. Just thought I'd repeat the warning I got with the advice...MPH

Kirk, That small offset measures 3/4" in diameter and is approx 1/4" in length. That is the shoulder that the legendary right hand lift lever fits on. The end of that shaft should have a hole drilled and tapped in it for 5/16"-18 thread. That is for the bolt that holds the handle on. I think most people don't even know thats there. Just thought I would share this with you since I have been doing a lot of work making a right hand lift lever. Al