Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

mwells

Got a 712 this weekend for $80.00 without engine or any attachments. The hydro is there and it is in over all good shape. Anyone think it's worth fixing up and selling? Thanks

I have a 712 Shuttle. As I read all the posts, it seems that the hydro is the preferred type. If my perception is correct, why is it preferred? If it is preferred, then I would think you would want to restore/fix up your "new" 712H.^ Dan

I've got a 712H that I bought last summer for $300.00.Very versatile tractor to have around.And like John said,can't have enough orange around.8)

I have an 816 GT already, and it is the later series. It would be a neater mower to have, but I don't know if I should put the kohler engine in it or a briggs.

No guts, no glory....ditch the running boards and get yourself a Old B series vari drive tractor chasis along with the one you have and build one of these...... [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/var_hydro/Dcp00456.jpg[/img] [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/variable_to_hydro.htm[/url] [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/images/HB116/no20.JPG[/img] [url]http://www.simpletractors.com/do_it/variable_to_hydro2.htm[/url]

Hey Mike, sitting at the Case dealer on old hiway 30 in Fremont is an AC 5020. Saw it as I was leaving and they were locking the door when I left so I know nothing about it. Thats the 4 wheel drive model that came over on a boat I believe..MPH

Mike, I'm currently assembling a 712S from junk pieces. I wanted a shuttle tranny since I already had a 61 Wards 3-speed, and a 77 AC 716H. These are great tractors, regardless what tranny is in them. I love my 716H. It is a super mower, and great for moving heavy loads. In the 712 that I am putting together, I am going to use a B/S engine from a Homelite T13. Homelite and B/S called them 13Hp, while Simplicity called them 12Hp. It is a B/S 300000 series. None of my tractors has the original engine, or even the original type. 61 Wards has a 14 Hp Kohler, 716H has a 10Hp B/S, and 712S is getting a 12-13Hp B/S. Also keep in mind that the one I call the 712 is put together entirely from parts from several different machines and essentially has no direct original type. Because of the hood, dash, and engine, I am calling it a 712. It has parts from two different AC 710s, an AC 410, a Homelite T13, a Simplicity Landlord, an AC 716, and some others. I'd say, "fix up yours and enjoy".

I look at these kind of things like a collector. If I am going to use and abuse it, I would put in the most economical engine(cheaper parts & more service knowledge on my part). If I was going to restore it to keep in my collection I would stay as original as possible. My 2 cents...^

I personally prefer the Briggs over the Kohlers. Note also that Simplicity continued to use Briggs long after Allis switched to Kohlers, in essentially the same tractor....

Allis actually did sell 16hp Briggs in their 700 series tractors for a while. There are very few of them around though. I actually prefer Kohlers, but only if I bought them new or know for sure they were well maintained by the previous owner. Seems like the Briggs hold up much better without proper maintinance than the Kohlers. Probably why 3 out of 5 Kohlers I get are Ko'ed and 4 out of 5 Briggs are still usable(cast iron blocks that is) Sam

Briggs has only one thing to sell basicaly, air cooled gasoline powered engines. They are to that industry as Henry Ford was to the model 'T' . Just about anywhere you go, you see a Briggs shingle hanging somewhere. They have the most complete service manuals and easy to read parts books. Kohler on the other hand is best known for their bathtups and plumbing fixtures. That product line drove Kohler to build gasoline engines and generator sets to fill those bathtups and so with water. While they might have a very good product today, they don't nearly have the marketing penentration that Briggs' has