Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Frame up restoration B110

MDB

Just thought I would let you guys check out my winter project. I found this B110, with a 42" mower and 32' tiller but no engine at an auction for $110

Found a B&S 243431 engine locally at a reasonable price.

This started looking like a good winter project(probably extend into next winter):D

Starting to tear her down,

A little more, Still more,

Getting close to having just a pile of parts.:D

Sure is a lot of parts,

Sure hope I remember how this goes back together.:o)

Sure looks like alot of work. More updates later,

Hope you don't end up with too many EXTRA PARTS!!!;) It's funny how Allis put these together with too many parts!! LOL

one thing that has helped me tremendously in a few projects i have done, is the fact that with a digital camera i can take close up and overall pics before i take somthing appart. Not only is it good incase i have a lapse in memory, but it is sure nice to see how the project went from rusting metal to useful hardware.

Oh Sure, now look what I started....... lol. It's nice to watch someone else doing it too.... Right now I'm stopped until I finish with the hydraulic lift and put it in.....

Mike, I'm currently doing an AC 712, totally from parts from several tractors. Mine is a little ahead of yours. Rolling chassis is painted and re-assembled. Currently working on rear fenders. Hope to post pictures soon. Have fun, and Good luck.

In the middle of a 700 now,the color chart that Kent just posted may make the the project. Which color orange (or yellow) should it really be, if there was a definitve answer to the question it would be simple! Good luck. Is that a set of fire truck cabinets? Wish I had a barn like that the only problem would be that it would fill up with tractors!!;)

Reed, Yes that is a set of fire truck cabinets. I bought a firetruck at an auction about 5 years ago and stripped it down so I could use the cab and chasis for a grain truck. Still have extra parts left over from that project.:D

Hi guys, Thanks for all of your comments and encouragments. Here's a few more Pics.

We'll start with the BGB

I knew that the imput shaft was wore pretty bad so I disassembled and check everything out, it did'nt look to bad except for the imput shaft. Had a rebuilt BGB. on the shelf so I used it, will rebuild original BGB later.

Next it's trany time. I've been working on these AC and Simplicity tractors for over 25 years and had never been inside one of these transmissions, goes to show how good they were built. Thank Daddycat for all of the information in your restoration topic,I came back to that topic several times.8D

This is about the time I started wondering what I was getting into, o well to late now:D

Disassembled, cleaned and inspected all trany parts. Replaced some keys that were wore and fit loose in the keyways, reasembled and painted. [img]/club2/attach/MDB/B110-20.jpg[/img]

That just about catches me up on the progress I've made since starting this project last Nov. More updates later. Going to see if I can get around Dotys (vfd702s) dog(Sable) and get a few parts:D

Hey Mike, just a quick tip to help improve your pics.... Get a big section of cardboard or some other lighter colored background to shoot against when taking pics of dark parts. Polished shafts and the like go better against darker ones. You're doing great, keep it up!!!

Thanks Daddycat, sounds like a good idea, I was trying to figure out how to make the dark objects show up better especally in the shop where there is limited lighting.8D I guess there is always room for improvement.^

Hey, if you can learn from the errors I've already had the opportunity to make, so much the better......... lol When I first started posting pics, I bet I took ten for every one good enough to post. Too close, too far, not in focus, too bright, too dark......... you eventually get a feel for how your camera will do. I'm down to only eight shots per good postable one now!!!!!!

Doug, I'll try to borrow a camera this week to show what little I have accomplished. Keep in mind that I am doing a reconstruction, not a rebuild. Just putting together a pile of parts to make a tractor. I'm calling it a 712, but it has many origins.

Hi Mike, If you have a camera that can be used in the manual mode,try turning off the flash and make the lens stay open longer. This way if you are in the shadows of your shop you will get more detail and better color balance. You will have to get a tripod or a place to set the camera on. If ya'll want to see some of the differences it can make let me know. I would be glad to post or e mail

Hey Mike ! Would you want to use Sable as a lighter colored backdrop? She is lighter colored you know....maybe not! Always good to have a "KILLER DOG" guarding the orange and yellow. ken

Hi guys Worked on the steering gear this week in my spare time.

The steering had alot of slop in it so I disasembled it and replaced the pinion bolt and bushing, I got them from SLI.

The casting was wallered out where the pinion bolt fits and that was preventing me from getting the gears to mesh properly,I took The casting to a local machine shop and they bored out the hole and installed a bushing.

The needle bearings in the other end of the casting looked ok so I left them alone. Next I reasembled the steering gear and the backlash on the gears, seems to be good as new.

Thats about all for now, more to come later.:)

Mike, Looking great, keep up the updates, you frame up guys make it look so easy....I guess its like fishing, the next best thing to fishing is hearing a fishing story. Doug