Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Winter Strom Breaks Two (too)

Rob-B

Hello, Well we here in Southern New England and along the coastly regions of New England got hit with another good snow storm Friday. This one really caught the weather men off gaurd. We were suppose to get 3" to 5" from the whole strom and he had that brfore them said it was going to start!:D I wound put with about 12" here in Putnam, Art I bet you had fun on Long Island, no? Anyways how did everyone fair? The L-112 did really good this time around. Need to put a new cutting edge on her in the spring though. The city side walks are a killer on cold rolled, I now have some aar plate for next edge. rob

Well we got at least 7-8 if not more just north of boston in the burbs. Luckily the snow was light and fluffy. Other than that the equipment faired so-so snapped the dtive chain on the blower proceded to fix that only to find a small boulder with the auger :( luckily all that did was pop the belt off. Having 2 machines 1 with the dozer blade and 1 with the blower saves lots of time and wear and ear on me not having to swap attachments in the 30degree weather. I think kent was saying that he may have got7in or so out by him, and he is an hour or so west of me.

Only got 6" here in South Jersey, just enough to "tune up" the drive ratio on my 48" Kubota snowthrower. My 7012 didn't have enough power, but the 18 hp Sovereign sure does. My 42" Simplicity snowthrower has a 6" discharge. The Kubota has an 8". Therefore, the Kubota doesn't throw as far but it sure puts out the volume. I was cutting a full 48" swath at probably 5 mph ground speed, and throwing 25'. These photos really don't show the maximum volume.

I had about 8" of fluffy powder, great for towing the kids with the Putt Putt. Had to air up a front tire on the 3310, guess that's not really a breakdown though, is it? Used both 3310 and Putt Putt to plow, should really have tried the 36" three-belt blower out but didn't hook it up before so I stuck with the plow. Besides, I won't let the kids use the blower so the plow stays on!!! We all had great fun, and while they went inside for hot chocolate, I did 5 other drives for neighbors....... Rob, how did those 2-link chains work out for you? Did you get those dual 6" wheels on in time?

powerking_one
Herb, Kirk, et al: Twenty-five feet of snowblower discharge distance "don't impress me much". The ol' two-wheeler Gravely repowered with a Tecumseh OH-160 coupled to the MA-210 two-stage blower makes an awesome bystander spectacle throwing the white stuff 50-100 feet. Cars must stop till I stop or pause to let them pass. This machine combo truely rings the Gravely "power vs dudgery" bell. No stink'in $40 octopus routed or triple belt systems to break/wear out either. Zero snowblower maintenance needed so far in 15 years of faithful service. All gear drive does have it's merits. Somewhat biased, Tom(PK)

quote:
Originally posted by powerking_one
Twenty-five feet of snowblower discharge distance "don't impress me much".
Tom, I'm sure you're right! Just like a water hose nozzle, I could reduce my discharge to 4" and probably throw snow 200'. But I'm no more interested in how far I can throw snow than I am in seeing if a Ford can out pull a Chevy. I am interested in moving snow from where I don't want it, to where I do want it, as fast as possible. My rig does that to my satisfaction, plus it was free! Guess I'm just practical.......... PS - Your quote reminded me of that Shania Twain video. I laughed my butt off listening to her sing, "That don't impress me much" as she was walking and sweating while everyone else was riding in cool comfort.

I got about 12-14" here in just above R.I. border. My B-10 did so well with a dozer blade I plowed a path to my bird feeders and to my tractor/potting shed.(my repair shed in winter,her potting shed in the spring summere and fall. Fred Wood

powerking_one
Herb, That was indeed the S.T. MP-3 audio file I was listening to today that inspired the forementioned quote. She is one P.O.A. hotty in my book any day! Still biased, Tom(PK)

Well back here in Wisconsin we got 2, zip and zilch. Never seen so barron, ever. All of the hardware stores have their lawn and garden departments just about up now. Looking forward to mowing grass.

Along the coast here in Southern RI, we were eventually blessed with about 8". The 2110 just cranked, 3/4 throttle and 2nd gear for the most part. Between my neighbor(has a Craftsman 2 stage walk behind) and I, we did most of the neighborhood. Of course his machine was much slower. here's a pic from an earlier post: http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=13300 Supposed to be more snow on Monday. Here's hoping! Terry

Herb, the first pic you posted suggests that you have a contract with the Jersey Highway Department. Or were you just having fun? <g>

Hi Rob, we had about 8". Got the B-207, out with the blower. It did great for about 10 feet. Threw that snow a whopping 2';).Then bogged down, tire chains started working themselves off, machine began slipping around. Ended up physically dragging the tractor back to the garage and shoveling the drive by hand.....UGH!:(!

:(Hi there: We just keep getting missed in Cent. Michigan. Like Bob in Wisconsin, I have never seen such a barron year. Every time we get a little snow, I look forward to getting the 9020 out for a spin and when I get home, my wife has it all shoveled. (said she likes the exercise) I cant decide whether to get rid of the blower or my wife. Ken

Hi Doug, I've been putting a trailer together (had to buy an unassembled 4' X 8" tilt trailer, on sale from Harbor Freight, utility trailers are really expensive on the "Right" coast) to haul my machinery. Teaching myself to weld, (trying) and welding a railing around the trailer, to keep the tractors from jumping off. Have to do the work outside, and, it's soooo cold!!!:I I was going to take some pictures of my welds, but, they're just too embarrassing!!

Art, to help with the tire chain slippage problem, have found deflating the tires before tighten' the chains works Really good. No need for bunggy cords, no flop in chains to tear up fenders. Just torn up hard pack snow...MPH

We got 11' in northern Rhode Island. I had a great time plowing myself out and doing my neighbors big drive. The 3012 ran great . They are saying 8 inches starting tomorrow.