Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Electric PTO clutch

PhilD

I have an A/C 716H model 1690211 Ser. 5199 with a 16 hp Kohler Model K341S Ser. 9511093 Spec 71240 I recently aquired an electric pto clutch (model MA-GT-JD-7 ser. 602 made by Ogura) that was supposed to fit. Anyway, it dosn't fit. The bolt holes in the coil plate are wider than the bolt holes in the engine. Does anyone know how I might adapt the clutch to fit, or have one that will fit that I can trade this one for or buy at a reasonable price? I would like to get the snowblower I picked up working before the weather turns to snow. I can supply the ser number of the snow blower if it will help anyone. It is just quite dark right now and I can't see to read it. Thanks, Phil D

Phil, I am not familiar with that clutch, without seeing it. As I remember the 7016 had a mechanically engaged disc clutch on the engine operated by a lever like the PTO engage lever except it fit in the hole on the right side directly across from the PTO lever. I know the clutch kit and hitch are no longer available new, but last I know some parts for the clutch were still available. I would think that you could make an electric clutch work OK, but you still will need the rest of the hitch. The new hitch for the Sovereign won't work because it drives from the PTO and on the 7100 up the back idler pulley is anchored to the frame side plate and only the front pulley is spring loaded. On the 7000 series both pulleys are on the pivot assembly and when you get a load of snow the belt on pull side will pull the pivot forward loosening the slack side belt and it will fly off. The sonwblower will put a much heavier load on than the mower. My 2 cents worth and its free. That should be a clue to its value. Good luck, Al

Al, I kind of knew that the A/C 716 used a mechanical clutch of some kind. I also know that some people have put an electric clutch on their machines. The clutch I have was bolted on a 712 and the guy that had it said the guy he got it from said that it should fit. Hows that fro a round about way of getting something. Right now I do have a lead on a used mechanical clutch and I think I will probably pick it up. I think I can also (I have an idea of how to make a bracket) take a few measurements and talk one of the tooling guys at work into making the brackets. As far as the hitch goes, it is the one with the two pulleys mounted on it. I have two different lift rods and either will work. One has a heavy spring to provide resistance to the blower 'riding up' under load. The other is a solid rod with stop collars (goes on the snow blade) that I could use to prevent any upward movement of the blower. However, I don't intend to use it with the blower as damage to the blower could result if I were to hit something.

I managed to adapt the electric clutch to the Kohler adjusted it and have it working fine. Thanks to all PhilD chowchow@ticon.net

Mike, The clutch is supposed to be off of a AC 712 Kohler and is a flange mount type. Here is how I mounted it. There are two sets of tapped holes in the 16hp Kohler. The first set should be for mounting a clutch or other device and are 3/8" holes. The second set are on the perimiter of the engine face and are 7/16" holes. The shape of the clutch and spacing of the holes in the clutch prevented me from using them in the 3/8" holes where the clutch looks like it was designed to use. I rotated the base of the clutch to enable me to use two of the 7/16" holes. The holes I used were the upper left and lower right. In these holes I used a 7/16" bolt with a 1/2" heavy flat washer and a 7/16" lock washer. This enabled me to clamp the base plate of the clutch to the face of the engine. The barbs on the back of the base plate of the clutch located the plate in the correct place on the engine bearing recess so all that was needed was a way to keep it in place. I will make or have tooling at work make some clamps out of some flat bar stock that will look more professional. I used a couple of 1" shim washers that were included with the clutch and a couple of 1" heavy flat washers and a locking collar to space out the remainder of the engine shaft so I could use the bolt and washer that threads into the engine shaft so I could properly hold the clutch together as the manufacture recommends. It is improtant that the washers not rub or damage the bearing shield and not contact the outer race of the clutch bearing. I added a switch and wiring taking power from the terminal strip next to the key switch. Adjusted the clutch for proper operation and now I am ready for the snow. As a side note, (and I may be totally wrong about this) you might be able to use a bearing mount clutch (usually found on new tractors), it is my understanding that all you have to do is keep the anti rotate tab still and that may not be to hard. There may be a clearence problem in mounting that type as there isn't much clearance between the engine shaft and the front frame member of the tractor. Hope this helps, Phil

Phil, glad to hear you got it working. The AC 300 and 400 used an electric clutch on the front of the Kohler single cylinder engines to drive the blower and mower deck. Is this where the clutch came from? If it is, it may be nice to know that you can get it to work on the other tractors. MS