Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Grader blade hitch

ReedS

My latest foray in fabrication was this grader blade hitch that I've made up for one of our club members. The blade itself was one of Dutch's double edge blades and part of the hitch is loosely based on plans that Dutch drew up so I feel the need to acknowledge and thank him for those detailed plans. I suppose I could have done it without any other plans but it was a place to start. The major differance between what I have made up here and the aformentioned plans has to do with the blade bracket being offset or not.For ease of changing the blade from the straight to the serrated edge the blade bracket(no tools needed)the blade bracket/pivot was built as one piece not offset from the attacting bolts so that it is centered on the blade.Another differance is that I made the additional holes to angle the blade in the hitch not on the pivot and instead of using a bolt for the pivot I used a hitch pin with a hairpin retainer. I also used a hitch pin for the angle selection but without a retainer. [img]/club2/attach/reeds/dscn0270ms.jpg[/img] That was the easy part. After I had fabbed up the bracket/pivot I had an old snowblower hitch that had been previously reengineered(hacked!) that I was going to use to mount the blade to the tractor. The problem that I found was because the hitch was on angle (downward toward the blade)that when the blade was angled side to side it also angled up and down side to side. The solution to this was to add longer ears(approx. 3.5") to the hitch thus bringing the hitch parallel to the ground and solving the unwanted angle problem(at least on fairly level ground.) One drawback to this is decreased gound clearance, however one must give to get. [img]/club2/attach/reeds/dscn0287m.jpg[/img] The chain attching point is a piece 1/8x2"x3" stock bent 90 deg. and the corners 45'd. [img]/club2/attach/reeds/dscn0289m.jpg[/img] [[img]/club2/attach/reeds/dscn0290m.jpg[/img] Close-up of hitch/pivot. I was lucky enough to have chance to try this out before it had to go to it's rightful owner. One thing I found is that you need to remember where your feet are when you lift the blade, fortunately I had steel toed boots at the time.;) Now of course I kinda wish that I had one to keep.8D

Reed, You did a damn nice job. Worthwhile improvements over the Simplicity hitch too. I'm happy to finally get some feedback from an Allis-Simplicity owner.
quote:
Originally posted by ReedS
One thing I found is that you need to remember where your feet are when you lift the blade, fortunately I had steel toed boots at the time.
Don't have that problem with an RBT. Just sit back an relax.......:D:D:D

Thanks for the complements guys!!!:D Hopefully we'll hear from the proud owner of this nifty toy to let us know what he thinks!! As for production, I'll make one for anyone interested if they supply the hitch to be modified although I suppose I can make those too.8D

I'm very pleased with it, but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. I may try it this weekend to see if the serrated teeth will scrape packed snow/ice loose.... Dang, I'm ready for spring!

Kent,I think that I will have to make another chain attaching bracket so there will be one on the correct side at all times!! Didn't think of that till tonight. oooppsss! LOL

Reed, I can't tell from the photo how you affixed that chain bracket. Did you drill another hole? I don't know if the OEM blades for FDT had extra holes, but if an extra hole is an improvement, let me know the location and size. I can probably have future blades pre-drilled by the factory.

Dutch, the chain bracket is secured using the pivot bracket bolt. I didn't have any carrage bolts that size so those are regular 5/8ths bolts there. Unfortunately the bolt head blends into the bracket in the photo. I think that it will be ok without making more holes. Maybe once it gets used a few times we'll have some more feedback on that.

Kent, I'm betting the serrated blade will do pretty good on snow pack. I found the straight edge worked best around 25 to 30 degrees, before to much got soft, as it then gets blocked up on the hitch. Seems about half inch of snow is all that can buy the hitch. Have had a few brainstorms about dealing with that but as I have 3 other methods to deal with snow its low on the list..MPH