Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

MF 12 Whats it worth?

Chris727

I recently stumbled across an old MF12 hydro in a guys woods. It has all its parts except it has the wrong deck. Motor is not foze. Not sure on its compression. I can get the right deck for it for free though because I found one in a trash pile by a burned down abandoned house. I think the tires will take air. Main thing it needs is paint. I am unsure however of transmission condition. I know it has pretty good value if just parted out. I know its not a Simplicity but I like how it looks just like a big MF farm tractor and it is a now distant cousin of simplicity with Simplicity making Massey lawn tractors now. What is the top $$ its worth? Its worth picking up isnt't it?

Chris, I don't know what they are worth but I do know they are heavy duty. I got one for nothing 6 years ago and got it going. When we moved I used it to clear about an acre of over grown garden and woods. I would have it running wide open and slowly push the brush over and let the mower deck mulch it up. I really abused the mower but it did a good job. The motor needs a rebuild right now and the hood is gone but I sure got a lot of work out of the old girl!!!!

I don't like to put a value on things I can't see or here run but I have seen these on ebay go for as much as $950 for a pretty nice unrestored one.There was one that just ended the other day on there for about $355 I think.The photo below is one that I have for sale and I put a starting price of $500 just to see what happens.(Note its not finished yet-still need assembly and small brackets painted ect.)I have had lots of intrest in it but no offers and no cash until a couple weeks ago some one from Canada wants to make me a deal for $400 without the tires.He was supposed to come last weekend and get it but the weather was bad in his area and he has put it off till next weekend.Guess he has about 10hrs drive to get here.If he don't show this time I am keeping it. [img]http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/uploaded/mowerman1193/Massey%2012.JPG[/img]

I couldn't blame you for wanting to keep that tractor. Looks like you have a lot of work into it. Another nice thing about the Masseys was they also had an anti-scalp mower, so the cut should be almost Simplicity quality. -Chris

I don't know Mowerman, looks like one of those where you lost your a-- and don't know which way too turn. Did you use too farm with it??? My brother had a MF about 25 years ago and still speaks highly of it, cept for the rear discharge mower..Any tractor is worth geting if the price is right, I'm still keepping tabs on a JD 140 that was tenative sold last summer but so far no money has showen up, has a hydro angle blade, 1st interest, mower and grass catcher with a silage wagon. Drive by it every time I'm in Fairbanks and often stop in and talk to the ole gent.MPH

MPH,I don't have much money at all into the tractor and I don't feel I have lost anything on it.I got it free and the motor runs very strong and the hydro works good so I really only have the cost of sand for blasting it and paint new bushings and bearings in the front end and new bolts to put it back together.The tires cost me the most and this guy says I keep them and the wheels and he will give me $400.My records of it show that I have $250 into it including the tires.Although if I was to count my time well thats a different story then. I never used the tractor other that when the guy delivered it to me I put a battery in it and ran it around for about a hour to make sure the trans and motor was ok.Then I took it apart for restoration.

I called the owner tonight and he told me to take it and two others ( a wheelhorse cg-8, and a dynamark) for free. Sounds like a good deal to me! Only problem is the Massey doesn't freewheel. So it will be a tough one to load on the trailer.^ -Chris

There is a freewheeling valve at the top front corner of the hydro unit. If you turn it a quarter turn, it should free up the transmission for loading. Pat