Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fall of the yoeman empire......

Hows that for a catchy title? I burned out the starter on my ol yo tonight, cranked and cranked until it stopped. Just wanted to be part of the polar starting group here and say i started it at 8 below. Anyhoo, off the cuff, can i rebuild it? its an old 8hp 110volt......

I think I have an older 110 here in my collection of 'stuff'. It just might have a bad starter switch. Back then there were Bosch and Briggs starters available.

Dale, So does mine, and looks like ill be using it next time...... I did put my hand to the starter, it was very warm.....Whens that cultivator going to be done?

I spend Saturdays watching son wrestle. Stop racing because it cost too much to fill Suburban up (gas) :(!. I still have plenty of time-won't need it till May. 1st free Saturday I'm going to finish it. Dale

Hi Doug, I'm planning on getting my Yeoman up and running today. I'm going to run out and get a battery for it and a piece of copper rod like Dutch suggests in his article. I don't think I'm going to do the adjustable length thing though. I also have to work on a frozen throttle cable. I couldn't find a part number for the cable in the parts manual. Does anybody know if they are available? Hope you are able to get your starter fixed! Later, John

Well, I put a battery in the old Yeoman and it fired right up. Smokes a little when it starts but otherwise runs great. Sounds pretty wicked too. I think the muffler is about gone. Wish me luck with the throttle cable!

quote:
Originally posted by jrichason
Well, I put a battery in the old Yeoman and it fired right up. Smokes a little when it starts but otherwise runs great. Sounds pretty wicked too. I think the muffler is about gone. Wish me luck with the throttle cable!
John try soaking throttle wire with penetrating oil to loosen it up. I assume throttle lever is fine. Sometimes the cable is routed around battery and you get small spills of acid that causes the cable to seize up.

Hi Bob, Thanks for the suggestion. I took the cable off, brought it in the house, and went up to have dinner. When I came back down to work on it, it was working fine. Must have had some moisture in it. I soaked it pretty good with WD-40. Thanks again for your suggestion. I also wanted to mention that you have a nice picture of you and your granddaughter in your gallery. She looks to be about the same age as my daughter. Take care, John