Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

SNOW PLOW

Charlieson

It finally stopped snowing here in Va. I had over 2' plus some very deep drifts. I just finished opening my driveway. I got my tire chains to stay on and I added a 5 gallon bucket of cement to the rear for extra weight. I wouldnt trade this tractor for anything right now. The tractor has a 48" dozerblade on it. Here are some pictures of the tractor and the snow. [img]/club2/attach/charlieson/upload.jpg[/img] [img]/club2/attach/charlieson/upload1.jpg[/img]

Looks just like my Simplicity tractor 3416H with a 46" blade and hydraulic lift and angle . [img]http://www.simplicityva.com/winter/Image025.jpg[/img] I have never had any weight on the back of my tractor,takes a lot to stop the tractor.:D:D Karl:)

Dwayne, Nice work. You did all of that with just the blade? Wow. The storm must've dumped dry snow this time around, eh? Two feet of our white stuff in one dollop is just too much for my B-112 and the HD blade, let alone the putt-putt Homesteader and blade. I let things get ahead of me this winter and had to use a Cat. Our snow was very wet and heavy this year. Hope you fellas back east stay dry, warm and safe.

Actually alot of the snow was sleet, so it was pretty heavy. It sleeted off and on Saturday into Sunday. Sleeted pretty hard too. Weatherman says we had 30"+. I couldnt push in one stroke had to push off to the side of the driveway and then backup and get another swipe. I raised the blade and pushed the tops of the piles over to make room for the next swipe. I wish I had the hydraulic lift and angle blade. Arms are pretty tired from raising and lowering the blade. Its snowing here again. They are calling for 20-25mph winds tonight, so Ill probably be doing it all again. I dont think weve had this much snow since the winter of 95-96. Then I had a Cub Cadet Model 70. She was a trooper but not heavy enough for all of that snow. ddh

Charlieson, We only had about 10 inches here in Fredericksburg, but the biggest part was sleet. The 61 Wards worked great till the drive belt broke just as I was finishing up. Then the @#*#@ snow plow filled the entrance back up after the tractor was not usable. That sure was some dense, heavy stuff to move. I needed more weight, but my son had taken the hang-on weights off somewhere in the back yard, and they were buried. He forgot where he put them. I didn't want to shovel the whole yard looking for weights, so did the best I could while running 200 lb light. It did OK, and got the job done.

Do you hang the weights on the rear hitch? I am thinking of getting some and hanging them back there. It would help with the weight and also should make the snow blade easier to lift. Would have been a lot more snow if it wouldnt have been for all of the sleet. The storm is up north in New England now. They can have all of it as far as Im concerned. They are calling for rain Friday and Saturday. Should make for some interesting water runoff problems. The snowplow came through last night here too and I had to open the bottom of the driveway. Usually if something is going to break it waits until your almost finished. ddh

ddh, I have a bar fabricated from a piece of 2x2 angle iron that bolts to the very top of the hitch/seat bracket. I welded a couple of small tabs to keep the weights from falling off the ends, if they move. I have four of the fifty pound weights that I bought from John Deere when they were on sale a few years back. I also have several other pieces of steel plate that I have welded hangers onto. If I added it all up, I could probably come up with 450 lb of weights. I never use over 100-200 lb. Hang-on weights do put extra load on the bearings, so I keep this as low as possible. I also have AG tires that are sharpened on an angle left over from tractor pulling. They work great going forward. If the wheels spin, these tires will dig through the snow and into the ground. Back to the weights, I just hang them on the rack, and tie them in place with a bunji cord.