Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Dealer says "No"

ROBBYDOB

Last night I fabricated a bracket from an old AC snow blower I have, and have everything ready to put on my 98 Sovereign. I have the bracket so the belts will clear the tensioner control rod, there's clearance for the hood, the crank is long enough, I had it all together last night, except for the crank pulley. I called to get a pulley, because I don't think I have one, and it's to cold to go look in the shop. I was told by the dealer's owner that I couldn't run a blower from the crank, that I'd have to buy an adapter bracket and run it from the pto. Why can't I run it the old way? ? I worked at a car dealer parts dept. and often scoffed at customer fabrication, but come on! I'm not exactly cobbing it together!

One reason is that the motor might not have the right crank bearing in the front to run a clutch. Why don't you want to run the blower with the center PTO? I have had both set ups and have had less belt trouble with the center PTO.

Rob, What kind of hitch are you using? Is it the old style with the clutch on the hitch, or the one for the front PTO clutch? Pat

Rob, The OEM setup for a '98 Sovereign is a single pulley hitch using a long belt from the center PTO. If your hitch is the 2 pulley type from an older 7000 series RBT, a crank pulley alone won't work. You need a front PTO clutch. If your hitch is the 2 pulley type from an FDT, the overcenter clutch linkage won't clear your frame. Been down that road. That's why I made the hybrid hitch. It works fine.

UCD, I just thought I'd try to use the existing two pulley hitch that I have modified to fit in the tractor. Pat, clutch on the hitch. Dutch, I modified the hitch to fit (and work), but with the crank bearing question, I will make a single pulley set up, I have the plans for one, just gotta make it. Thanks very much for your input guys, I knew I could get an answer here!