Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Model 700 differential repair / rebuild?

DGBork

Hi folks! Last night I was using my 700 to plow out after this last storm. The good news is that the tractor plowed fine until the next to last pass. The bad news is that on that pass I heard a metalic clang and then the tractor went into 1-wheel drive. Only the left wheel was now driving - the right axle spun in the hub but didn't drive. I checked it out this evening after work. Pulled the right hub and differential. The differential has some stripped gears - both the differential gear on the hub and transmission sides are stripped and a couple of the pinion gears are chewed up. I read through the manual and think I can reassemble the diff. if i can find replacement parts. Does anybody know if these parts are still available new? Anybody have any decent used ones they want to part with? Thanks for any help! DGBork Saunderstown, RI Simplicity Model 700 (with broken differential)

Hi Dave, These parts should still be available new. Check them out at: http://www.jackssmallengines.com/partsearchform.html If you need a parts manual, go to: http://www.simplicitytechpubs.com/6767PRINT/PDF_files/TP_400_1231_00_LL_S.pdf

Had the same problem with my 700. Most of what you'll need is available from simplicity, I'm not sure whats available aftermarket. The last time I needed diff parts the shims were not available as well the gear on the hub. I ended up buying abrand new hub with the gear(pressed on). The new hub has no provision for slip adjustment. I'll see if I can add a pic later.If you are interested in the hub let me know I will sell it for something close to what I paid for it. It is new and has not been used except for pics.

Do a search, I know I posted pics of both styles of right hub and gear. If you use a new style hub, you'll also nees a new(longer) axle shaft. I have a 725 that we can pull the hub off of, but it's in a foot and a half of snow right now....