Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Something Good About Them

UCD

I knew there had to be something good about JD [img]http://ebay1.ipixmedia.com/abc/M28/_EBAY_37e4611faa18e1cd8240124047dec80a/i-1.JPG[/img]

Don't know, anytime I've ever wrenched on something green its been anything but simple..... Last two green ones I worked on I took apart with the "smoke wrench". A one way trip for sure....

Yeah, they’re great. They are so light they blow out of the back of your neighbors truck on the freeway on the way home from the dealer and he gives you a brand new 24 HP liquid cooled Kawasaki! With a smashed radiator of course and a busted dipstick tube.

Yup, there are alot of JDs and Cubs in this area, those guys don't waste anytime taking shots at my ACs. I always tell them if you want to see see how good your mower is come on over and we'll try them out, so far no takers:D:D:D

A deere's cut could never even begin to compare to that of an anti-scalp and their decks arent reinforced good. Have you ever noticed how most deere's discharge side of the deck is almost always bent under. There's no strength. I'll admit I have one I got for free. If there is one thing good about deere is you can buy almost any part you need. I know they don't cut like a Simplicity but I would give them some slack, at least they aren't a Big Box store tractor, which I admit a few of those have followed me home. I can't turn down anything thats for free! Besides, whats wrong with trying to have one of everything. You can never have too many tractors,even if you only use the good (orange) ones.

IMO, take it for what it's worth... CUBs are the best pullers, and have the strongest drivetrain.... Deeres are good collectors items, since they hold their value so well, if you can afford the expensive green paint to paint them.... ;) Simplicity has by far the best cut, which is what they're used for at least 70% of the time, by most people.... Allis MAY be the best compromise, since they have the Simplicity cut, but are also collectible by the "AC nuts"....

The problem is that they are now a big box store tractor. The big box stores are selling them but the dealers have to service them.

Yep, Home Depot is selling Deeres and Lowes is selling Cubs... Doesn't one of the chains (Walmart?) sell Snappers, now owned by Simplicity...

According to my local Simplicity dealer.....Simplicity put the cahbash to the Snapper\Walmart deal once Simplicity had control of them. He is already a dual Simplicity\Snapper Dealer. He is happy with the deal so far. Snapper paperwork has been streamlined dramatically.

Sabre was deere's departure from quality. It became the Scotts tractor sold by Home Depot. I think they are junk personnaly although I'll admit I own the Junkiest Murray ever! Cant wait to get the murray painted and sold to someone who doesn't know quality. The JD 300 series and prior are built real good except for the decks and the new 400 series are well built but carry a big price tag. I think the only brand that still builds them like they used to is Ingersol. The new ones look just like the old Case 444's etc.

As I understand it, JD is now selling the 100-series machines at Home Depot... they've discontinued both the Sabres and the Scotts. The 200-series and above will still be sold by dealers, while the dealers will also sell 100-series as the Sabre-replacement... [img]http://www.deere.com/en_US/100series/media/images/static/main5_image.jpg[/img] I agree on the Ingersolls as being heavy-duty machines, but they face the same challenges that "killed" the Sovereign. Old-styling, high prices, wide turning radius, too few "bells and whistles" like tilt-steering and cup holders, etc.

I know a couple of people who own Scott's machines. They're not Sovereign class garden tractors, but they appear to be well made, and are nice to drive with the foot control hydro.

I have it from a pretty good source that these new "Big Box" JD's, Scotts, Cubs, etc. are all just MTD's underneath their paint.

My Grandpa told me that he sold a B-10 to a guy who lives in Western, Ne and they had a cemetery that got out of hand. So of course the Deer dealers, Ford, Case and some other dealers brought out there mowers to compare to the others. So they start to mow and there going about well as slow as they can go with the engine running wide open. So the guy brings over his knew B-10 and He sticks it in 2 gear running wide open and just goes through it like nothing. My grandpa sold 4 B-10's the next day.

John Deeres are NOT MTD's. However Cub Cadets ARE. The Sabre is still being made for sale at Home Depot. The discontinuation of the Scotts is because the Sabres are outselling them by a long shot. And the newer decks are stronger and have the best cut I have ever seen. They have the thickest metal of all decks out there. You try and pick up a JD 54" deck. It can't be done by one person. The only thing I don't like about the new JD's is that they have a polycarbonate hood. All the Murrays I've seen over 5 years old do not have decks because they have rusted through. The MTD brands are: Yard Machines, Yard-Man, Cub Cadet, and Troy-Bilt. There may be a few other smaller brands out there by MTD. Murray is a completely different company. John Deere's brands are: JD, Sabre, Scotts, & Green Machine. JD sold Homelite last year. All John Deere Lawn & Garden Equipment are made internally at the Horicon, Wisconsin plant. Any reference to John Deere being made by MTD is offensive. The last year that Cub Cadets were any good was 1982, that was when MTD bought Cub from International Harvester Corp. My granddaddy proved to me that Nothing Runs Like a Deere. His JD 180 38" cut 10 acres each week in the summer for 20 years (original engine too) before he got his new LX 277 and LX 288. He was the one who gave me the Simplicity that I'm working on now. He got it from some renters who moved out and didn't bother to come back to pick it up. Now that I've stated my peace, I like Simplicities, especially the ones from the late 70's and early 80's, they're tough and they run pretty good. But show me a JD and I'll come runnin'.

guys I have 1 more name for the big box tractor list,Bolens. I work at a local lowes and just last week they started packing out new bolens tractors. From what i have found out the brand is manufactured by MTD who also makes cubs and troybuilt. The bolens tractors we sell are nearly identical to the MTD yardmachines we sold last season the difference being so slight that i havent seen a difference yet;) From what i understand Lowes has the exclusive rights to the name, i guess they paid mtd a ton of $$$ for that too. Here in my area there is not a huge Bolens following but i am sure that in other parts of the contry there must be.

Hay chris i like your thinking the price is right wen it it free . I had just ben given a garage 30x30 I have to take it down . so free is good

The old Bolens tractors from the late 60's and into the early 80's were one tough tractor to beat. All shaft drive and cast iron. The gear drive trans in these tractors were rated at 45 horsepower. If properly maintained they will last a very long time. Just my opinion, I have five Bolens. Floyd

I grew up with a JD model AR, very similar to the one in UCD's pic above. Great tractor, great sound, great fun. Well, I married into an AC family complete with Farm supply store, boy did I learn alot! Just yesterday I was at Home Depot and looked at the Deere's. Whoopy doo. I dare anyone to compare a comparable tractor to the 98' Sovereign. If they come up with anything, I'll have to go get the 920, lookout! I am sold on these machines forever! (look on my profile to see the goods!) I've never had or seen a newer JD up close, so I'm not comparing, but the great thing about Simps, you can work on everypart of them, unlike cheaper tractors. These machines are bullet proof.