Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Kohler Mag 16 vs K301

IronPony

My 79 AC712S could use either a motor rebuild or replacement. Looking on eBay I see a Kohler Magnum 16 Model 16s Spec # 711570. It has a one and an eighth inch shaft and my old K301S has a one inch shaft. That is all I know. Looking for opinions and suggestions on swapping this Mag 16 into my AC712. My mechanical ability is in the novice range. Dan

Dan, I assume this is the engine you are speaking about: http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2308879825&category=20544 It will fit your tractor, but if you have the front clutch, you will have to have it machined for the 1 1/8" shaft. Not a big deal. Last one I had machined ran about $25. I beleive that the air filter cover will have to be altered or replaced with the filter housing from a K-series engine. Not real sure, but I also believe that the Magnum uses a magneto, rather than a battery ignition system. If this is the case, you will have to replace the ignition switch with a magneto type (about $12) and change the wires on the switch plug. A little more monkeying around than a direct fit, but all minor stuff. If you get it, you can either PM or e-mail me and I can help you through it. Pat

I've swapped several engines. Not too big of a job. Have a 14 Hp Kohler on my 61 Wards, that came with a 7.25 Hp B/S. Also had a 12 Hp Kohler from a Cub Cadet on it at one time. That took a little engineering. If the flywheel has the right bolt pattern for the driveshaft, and you can make the oil drain and dipstick tube fit the chassis then it is relatively simple. Ignition, fuel and throttle are the only other worries, but usually minor. If you decide to make the swap, I do what I can to help with any of your questions.

Hey Dan, I'm currently the high bidder on that engine but have not tripped the reserve yet. I'm interested in it as a spare "project" motor. I'm prepared to throw $500 at it, but I am willing to bow out if you really want it. It does not make sense bidding it up against another member who may want/need it more than me.

Thanks to Arnold, Pat and Rod for their input. I am worrie3d about the flywheel bolt pattern and the price. $500 is a good price for a good 16hp motor but out of my reach. I will not bid against you, Arnold unless it is going for under $300 and I think fat chance of that. Thanks again for the info. Dan

The Simplicity/AC driveshaft coupling from any K-series engine will work on a Magnum. They have the same bolt pattern, this includes the flat twin cylinder engines also KT17, KT19, M18, M20.

Am I correct in assuming that my AC712 can safely handle a 16hp motor since one of the original engines offerd with this size tractor was a 16hp engine. Or, did AC change more than just the hp? Dan

It will have no problem handling the added power. To my knowledge, everything is the same on the 10 through 19 horse. I've been running an 18 horse in an HB-212 for four years now, and I am not easy on it. Pat

They are the same other than (I brlieve) that they never offered a 716S (shuttle). The 716H (Hydro)is the most common and they also had a(rare) 716-6 (6-speed).