Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

700/725?

rocko

I PICKED UP WHAT I BELIEVE TO BE EITHER A SIM.700 OR 725 YESTERDAY FROM MY UNCLE. THIS TRACTOR USE TO BELONG TO MY DAD WHEN I WAS A BOY. IT CAME WITH A MOWER,SNOW BLADE,& A TILLER. IT'S IN ROUGH SHAPE BUT I'M GONNA BRING HER BACK FROM THE DEAD. THERE'S NO MANUAL,HOOD DECAL& NO READABLE TRACTOR #. HOW CAN I TELL IF THIS IS A MODEL 700 OR 725? ALSO, HOW DIFFICULT IS IT TO FIND REPLACEMENT PARTS FOR A TRACTOR THIS OLD? THANKS, MARK

Mark, The 700 was a 7 horse and the 725 was a 7.25 horse engine. You can try to make out the # on the engine plate. See if this helps any.

Mark, Good luck, Ive been wanting to get my hands on one of those since i caught the fever.....im envious......there is a ton of info here for you to look over.....Post some pics. Doug

Mark, I have a 61 Wards, basically a 725. The transmission in interchangeable with most of the large frame machines through the 70s into the early to mid 80s. Rear axle can be swapped to the newer version with little notice. I think front axle is interchangeable, going to check that out in another month or so. The old rattle joints in the driveshaft can be replaced with the newer flex couplings. I currently have a 14 Hp Kohler on mine, with most of the upgrades that I already mentioned. If you are set on making it exactly as it came from the factory, there are a few parts that are no longer sold, such as the rattle joints or the plastic limited slip pads in the diff.