Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

engine ready to run or not

KSever

Saw this in an ad for an engine. Does this sound correct?
quote:
This engine comes complete, ready to run! (No air cleaner or starter/generator, engine pulley) engine pulley was on engine only for pictures running. when it arrives, put oil in it, and attach some kind of tank for gas, and start!

Kris it's not unusual for people to sell an engine minus the starter/generator since the S/G will bring almost as much as the engine itself. Same for the breather, all external parts sell well seperately. Wether it will run "WHEN" you replace those parts is another thing. I'd make an offer based on salvage for parts and if it does run call it icing on the cake. Maybe Sam or one of the guys that deal in equipment can offer better advice! Larry Of course if the seller will garrentee the engine will run and you can get the missing parts reasonable that's another ballgame.

I understand the value of selling and buying parts. Been selling parts for a while myself. But when you say comes complete ready to run I would think you could drop this thing in your tractor and it should run without buying a air cleaner, starter, and a pulley. That's like me selling my 717 and saying this tractor is complete just bring your own wheels. Just my own opinion.

quote:
I'd make an offer based on salvage for parts and if it does run call it icing on the cake.
Thats my philosophy too. I never buy a tractor banking on the engine being good. I always buy based on what I could get salvaging things out for the good parts readily visible. Same sort of thing on this 920 diesel. $300 for the blower, $300 for the deck, and there would be AT LEAST $250 in the rest of the tractor including the engine parts. That at least gives me my $850 investment back if the engine dies. Sam

Sam, In relation to the 920....geez, I wouldn't give my right arm, but might be willing to part with a finger or two for that kind of deal, or at least a big toe. In this neck o' the woods, I can't even find a junker parts machine to rob from for the B-112.