Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snowblowin

roonfry

Hello, I'm looking find a tractor to hook a snowblower to and possibily later on a tiller. Want something small 10 to 12 hp and hopefully older for price considerations. What would be my best options B-10, B-210, B-110, B-112? Will all of these run both implements. Did all of these come standard with a front and/or rear PTO or are the implements belt driven? I am new to AC garden tractors, I have a D-14 that I use around the house. I am also considering a Bolens 850 or 1050, how do the two models stack up? Any info would help. Thanks, Roon

I'm rather partial to the B210 myself. Yes, they will run both a rear tiller and a front blower. Both implements are belt driven. They will also handle plows, loaders, back blades, belly blades and probably just about anything else you can figure out how to hook on them. :D Most parts are still available. Steve

To answer your questions about PTOs: All the models of this vintage used belts and "belt clutches" to drive implements. The snowblower would drive off a pulley attached to the front of the engine, and the snowblower has an idler pulley to clutch it. There were two models of tillers that would work with these models. One had a separate tiller drive with an idler clutch, and the other had the clutch on the tiller. These belt-driven PTOs are simple, effective and very easy to repair and maintain, in comparison to those that use electric or manually activated clutches on direct drive systems. The use of belts also provides some "slip" when needed, like when you ingest a frozen newspaper in a snowblower or wedge a large rock between the tiller housing and the tines. If these were "direct drive" in either case, the damage would likely be much more substantial... While this info below is from an earlier model, it might be helpful. http://www.simpletractors.com/simplicity/new_in_1963/ThreePTOs.htm

Roon, If you can find a B-112, you'd surely like it. Simple to deal with, solid, and it actually looks like a tractor! My buddies laughed about it when I was first tinkering with mine, but now that it looks decent they are all impressed...also impressed with the amount of oomph an old iron 12 horse Briggs can provide when combined with proper gearing and weight. The nice thing about the 112 for snowblowing, tilling, etc. is the variable speed drive...if it's in good shape and adjusted properly (that's the trick). Allows ground speed adjustment without changing gears or engine speed, and no pesky hydraulics. The older bolens, jd's, and cubs are good machines, but (in my humble opinion) the old AC beats 'em hands down. The D-14 is a great tractor...I envy you.