Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity 725

Karl_Brandt

I have got most of my 725 torn down now. The bevel box had the gears striped and shafts are worn out,front needle bearing had only the bearing housing left. Good thing I have one spare bevel box for this tractor;) There are a few parts I will have to make for this tractor. The replaced 8 hp Briggs & Stratton engine turned out to be scrap,after beating the piston (now scrap),crankshaft is out of round,valves & camshaft do not turn. I took my other 8hp cast iron B&S engine apart and this engine is like new inside,but rusty outside. Now all I need now is nice warm weather to work on my tractor,like over 50 degree & up.:D:D Karl:D

Karl, Was it you or someone else who posted the link on boiling out old blocks with Tide detergent? As I recall it took loose rust, gunk, loose old paint, along with the usual dirt and grit off. Seems like it should work fine on a BGB case too, get old grease or metal chips out of it.... I did a quick search but came up empty, did anyone bookmark it?

I'm going to talk to a machinist friend of mine,he makes his own hot tank solution with everyday grocery store items.I seem to remember baking soda being an ingredient.I'll try to talk to him tomorrow.

Karl_Brandt
I just bought a Briggs & Stratton model 19 for my Simplicity 725 tractor.The engine was on a bolens tractor,the motor is running and does not burn oil and also has no knocks.Was told the engine was rebuilt not long ago. I quess there are a few of these engines still running.^ Almost have the bevel box back together again. Karl