Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Fixed/Adjustable Carburetor

Guest medtec

I recently had to replace the carburetor on my 1980 AC 916-H. My local dealer supplied me with a Fixed/Adjustable Carburetor with linkage kit, P/N 4585309-S. The linkage that came with the kit didn't work on my tractor as the parts man at the dealer stated. He told me I could use my old linkage. To do so meant I had to transfer the the throttle plate and rod from my old carb to the new one. That was no problem. I installed the new carb and adjusted the idle fuel adjusting needle to 1 and 1/4 turns out as per the instructions in the kit. I then started the tractor and made my final idle fuel needle and idle speed adjustment using a tachometer. My question is, what is the small adjustment screw found on the carb on the lower right side just above the bowl for and what is the proper adjustment of that screw? It was factory set at 1 turn out. Any information/help would be appreciated.

One turn out is a good starting point. There isn't any "proper" number of turns. The proper adjustment varies by application. Assuming the engine is healthy, and all other adjustments are proper, turn both high & low speed screws until the engine performs as it should.

The engine is healthy. It is a replacement Kohler engine that was installed last summer. I've owned this tractor since the late 80's and had rebuilt the original motor soon after. It has performed flawlessly as my only tractor mowing, blowing snow, plowing, roto-tilling and spraying with a three-point hitch mounted sprayer. It is an all season tractor and I can't bring myself to part with "Alice" as I call her. Thanks for the reply. I assume that the screw I referred to is the high speed adjustment screw?