Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Snowblowing 101 ???

REM

OK Snow Jockies, what is the trick to this thing. I tried using my snow blower on my B110 for the first time and things did'nt go as well as I had expected. I was running at full throttle in first gear, snow chains and weights on the rear. I would get a good flow going but would bog down almost immediately, wheels would turn and I would end up climbing on top of the snow. I can't go any slower so what is the best way to cut through a foot of snow? I ended up putting the blade on and used it but I would really like to get the blower working. Any suggestions you can offer would be greatly appreciated. Thanks?

I found that the higher you adjust the blower from the ground,the more prone the blower was to riding up.As soon as I lowered the cutting edge(@ 1/2" to 3/4") the skid shoes would not ride up onto the remaining snow. You may have to keep a little down pressure on the lift arm,especially if the snow is packed tight or crusted.

Once I had a pass thru to the end of the drive,I'd take about a 12" bite,the old 9 hp couldn't handle much more, and i wouldn't have to fan the clutch pedal any. We had between 24" and 28" here in central Maryland.That is very uncommon for this area. Check out my blizzard 03 post.

When you say it's bogging down, what do you mean? Is the snowblower bogging down, or the engine bogging down? You may have to ride the clutch a bit to cut the first, full cut through the snow, to keep from going too fast. After you've made that first cut, though, try taking just a partial cut (maybe 3/4 of the full width of the blower), and see what works. You have to blow deep snow just like you cut tall grass -- the first pass is tough, but once that's done, just find out how big of a cut you can take and the machine will handle OK... then keep doing that.