Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

700 COLOR?

rocko

COULD ANYONE TELL/SHOW ME THE PROPER COLOR FOR THE SIM.700? MINE HAS FOUR DIFFERENT COLORS ON IT. ALSO, WHERE WOULD YOU GUYS GET YOUR PAINT? THANKS, MARK

Mark, This has been thetopic of many, many discussions here. Kent had recently posted a color chart here that might be of some use. I'm in the same boat with you and a least a half dozen other guys who would really like their 700's to look like they just rolled off the line.:) You could get a color chart from your local paint dealer which might help to pick a color that is close to the original red/orange. Another thing you might try is to do a search here on the topic of paint. Unfortunatly there have been many variations of that red/orange that have been used over the years,the later tractors are much more orange that the earlier ones which tended to be more red. I haven't yet decided on the solution to this but hope to do something on this soon. Good luck .:D

I am also have the same problem as you with my Simplicity 725. That I will be painting in a few months or more. Karl

quote:
Originally posted by Karl_Brandt
I am also have the same problem as you with my Simplicity 725.
Karl, I don't see it as a problem at all. The guys here are probably the most experienced and concerned Simplicity group in the world. None of them know the exact color. So, anything close will get "oohs & ahhs" when it's done. I've never heard that anyone contacted Simplicity for the exact color formula. If no one has, how important can it be? If some one has and Simplicity doesn't know, who can say what's exact? All I know is, I can buy paint that is very, very close for $35 a gallon. If I want very, very, very, very close, it's $200 a gallon. Besides, over the years Simplicity went from Red/Orange to Orange/Red and back to Red/Orange. I have some implements from the 60's and those are a far different color than those from the mid 70's, but very close to the color from the late 90's.

In my small amount of experience, I have seen all paint with red pigment fade and crack worse than any other color. If you tractor was not kept in the dark over the years, than it is no longer at the true color it was when it came off the line. You can't match an original color with a true sample of that color. So IMHO as with hand grenades and atomic bombs, close is good enough.:D Dan