Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

new counterweight

G.Kiebler

I made a 35 pound counterweight this evening.What a difference it made raiseing the snowblower.It hangs past the pivot point of the lift assembly 18".Just in time too,weather man says another 10" coming to central Maryland.

gary What did you use to make the weight with? I just put a rear lift kit in my new tractor and i was thinking about ways i could make a counterweight. thanks john

John, I used a 1" piece of round bar about 14" long and a 4" round by 8" long chunk of solid steel for the weight.I drilled 3/8" holes thru the round bar and drilled and tapped the counter weight using a 3/8x16 tap.I did drill a hole for a drop pin to retain everything within the lift assembly. I think it took me about a 1/2 hour or so. I was amazed at how effortlessly my snowblower raises now,it's well worth the effort. Hope this helps,Good luck. Gary.

thanks i found a peice of 4in dia pipe about a foot long was going to fill it with cement to make the weight, now all i got to do is find the 1in dia rod all the local hardware placed dont go up that high. I was wondering if i could use 1in dia steel plumbing pipe?

Plumbing pipe is sized by the ID. 1" pipe has an ID of 1" or so. At least it used to be. The last piece I bought had an ID just over 1" trying to save material on wall thickness, I guess. I tried using a piece of 3/4" pipe to mount my counter weight, it fit the lift but is real sloppy, but it worked temporarily until I found a piece of 1" stock. If you can't find any locally there are a couple of places on the web who will cut to length and ship to you. A local weld shop/machine shop may also have a piece of left over they might sell you cheap. GregB

John, Another place to look for 1" round bar would be one of your local HVAC contractors junk pile. Old belt driven blowers used 1" and other size shafts, some solid, some tube, different lengths. You might pick some up for free.

guys i found a piece of black steel pipe at work, it welded up ok, all i had to do was to grind off the threads and it slid into the rear hitch just fine. I painted it up tonight and tomorow i will fill it with cement and let it harden. While i dont think it will weigh more than 50 pounds or so the total leignth is somthing a little over 2 feet or so, so if i use kents formula from his other post i think my "total lift" will be somthing over 100 pounds or so.

I came across some old commercial door fire weights they hang over a pulley with a line that burns in a fire & closes the doors. They are 4" dia, 10-12" long with an eye in the end. They weigh 30lbs each & I hang them by the eyes on the rear lift bar. I picked up 6, left 3 sitting there as I didn't know what I would use them for. Wish I had taken them all!

This was my counterweight solution: We used a five gallon drywall mud bucket & took a large L bracket that was as tall as the bucket on one arm, & as wide as the bucket at the top. we bolted a platform to the bracket for the bucket to stand on & ran a strap around the bucket welding it to the l bracket. We then welded a lift rod to fit into the rear lift kit for attaching to the tractor. I fill the bucket with sand & salt to spread on icy parts of the driveway-i get two from this.