Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

dual rear wheels

MikeDAmico

Hi guys i have a question on rear wheel adapters,how the the adapter mount to the existing rim i know the outside tire just mounts to the hub of the adapter but does the inside hub require longer lug nuts to hold down the adapter and the rim?thanks..mike

Mike, It depends on how the adapters are made. Some look like a piece of pipe (2 inch dia.or so) with flanges welded on both ends to match wheel center openings and stud pattern. With this type on the end that bolts to the inside wheel(the one on tractor) the holes are larger than the studs and you use a little longer stud and bolt the adapter to your existing wheel. On the end you bolt the outside wheel to the hole is tapped to the thread size of the short studs you take out of your existing wheel and use them to bolt the outside wheel on. Weld narrow tabs or a "ring" that are the thickness of the inner wheel opening on the flange so weight is carried on the spacer and not the lugs-this is important! I have made this type for a few gentlemen in recent years. The other type is made with 4 pieces of 1/2 black pipe that match up to the "square" holes that you can see in your wheels between the rim and lug stud holes. You can make these by welding pieces of strap iron between the pieces of pipe (looks like a square when you get done). Make the pipes long enough so that the tires are approx. 2 inches apart (in case you use chains on both tires) Use long enough "carriage bolts" through the pipes so you can use a flat washer, lock washer and a lock nut outside the outer wheel. Make sure the square shoulders of the carriage bolts fit the square holes in the inner wheel properly. That's two ways of doing it. I'm sure others can help you also. Good luck my friend!! P.S.--IF YOU WANT to make the 2nd type. Do the following for a template: 1. On a wheel you have off of tractor put 4 lenths of all-thread thru the mounting holes and put a nut on each side of wheel. Make sure all-thread is longer that the pipes your cutting to length. 2. Cut 4 pipes to determined length. 3. Slide them over the all-thread. 4. Put nuts on top of pipes and make sure everything is "plumb" and tighten to wheel. 5. Tack-weld steel strap iron between the pipes. 6. Remove from wheel and finish weld & paint. Ready to install..

Michcruiser60
Mike, I've been thinking of putting duals on one of my tractors too. I ran across this web site of a Wheel Horse, a guy did. Looks easy to do. I think it's the second style that Marion was talking about. He gives a build sheet and dimensions to build a set. If the dimensions are not right they should be very easy to adapt. http://members.ij.net/crowsnest/tractor/rj58.html