Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Haul Away non-running tractors

IronPony

Follow-up report to my ad in local paper to haul away non-running tractors. So far I have gotten 6 calls.8D 2-Looking for parts for their tractors 3-With tractors they want to get rid of. 1-I could not understand phone # left on answering machine. I will be looking at one tractor tomorrow morning and will give a follow up report tomorrow. One tractor is snow bound and I will not be able to see it until spring. One tractor is on a family farm in a shed and when the owner comes from Minneapolis he will call me to come and collect it. This last one is a Our Own hardware brand tractor. Does anyone know who built tractors/ridding lawn mowers for Our Own Hardware? The owner could not remember what kind of engine or what horsepower but said it was really only a ridding lawn mower that looks like a tractor. He said it was in good shape but the engine was bad. Dan

I ran an ad in a couple local trader papers looking to buy Simplicity/AC tractors,accessories,etc.Haven't got any free ones,but some good deals on some sad iron.

Hi Dan, I have never heard of this brand. If your experience is like mine you will get calls from... 1. people that think their junk is gold. 2. people that want you to haul their worthless junk away for free. 3. maybe get lucky once in a blue moon. If I were you, depending on how easy it is in your area to get rid of junk.... 1. unless you get lucky and find that elusive nugget of gold, be prepared to do a lot of driving for nothing. 2. be ready to feel bad, when you must tell someone that their tractor is not even worth your gas cost to haul away. 3. be ready to be dissapointed most of the time. 4. depending on the cost of gas in your area, and your patience thresh-hold be hopeful! The Ford sounds like it may be a nugget of gold, but remember never pay what the owner thinks it's worth, unless they want $0.00....cause inevitably it's not...my $.02...Good luck.

I usually run my ad for a month starting the first week in march, but this year I am going to wait till the middle of the month to start it. Warmer weather seems to gain more calls. Brands like "Our own Hardware" and similar usually end up being a MTD type product. I have a JCPennys MTD sitting in my junk pile that a tree had fell on. What a way to go.....

I have run a few ads in a couple different papers. I'm a Farm Bureau member and had the best luck running ads in their weekly paper the Spokesman. I have to agree with Art here. I found a few attachments I wanted but no bargains were found. I was real aggresive looking for tractors at the beginning. I started this hobby this fall and have around 12 tractors now with 9 of them complete running units and many attachments. The ads on this website and a few other websites were my best bet. However NO deals were found!! Got jipped on the first few as I was unfamiliar with the prices then. Burned alot of gas, the best deals are never close to home!! Still looking though. I'm in some heavy Allis country and looking for that shed full of GOLD!!!!

I've run a few ads in the local paper. Most of the stuff I've picked up has been the cheaper stamped frame tractors built by MTD. I did luck out with a Wheelhorse C-120 Automatic that was in rough shape sitting next to a tree. All tires flat and sunk into the ground. No attachments and only missing a few minor parts. The release valve for the hydro was stuck so had to lift one rear tire while draggin it into my trailer. I worked about 3 hours and finally got the valve to turn, though it's hard. I had to clean the carb on the 12Hp Kohler but it runs very well. For $30 I made out pretty good on it. Most of the times I've gone to look at one tractor and they ended up just loading my truck/trailer with old push mowers and walkbehind blowers and two wheel tractors just to get rid of it.

Geez!! You guys are depressing:(:(:( I run ads "Wanted- Buying non working Simplicity & Allis Chalmers Garden Tractors and attachments. Any Age any condition. Will pick up" Here is a couple of Interesting finds in the last two years running the ad twice a year for 4 weeks each time in the local county advertiser circular: 3410 3 speed. 42" deck. Original Wheel weights, power lift kit, rear lift kit, headlight kit, low speed kit. seller priced...$50 ( it even ran) Wonderboy 700,(ran) Simlicity 725, another 725, 9hp Landlord(ran), 42" blade, 32" deck, 2 42" decks, 36" AC snowblower 2 rear counter weights, 1 pair wheel weights, and some other stuff I have forgotten. Seller price $250 There have been many other good deals but those stuck in my mind for some reason..:D

The best ones to hit are guys who are going thru a divorce. They'll practically give the stuff away to keep her from getting it, lol. Goes the other way around too :)

Probably won't get any takers here, but I might as well give it a try, we're on the topic of freebies anyway. Anybody in central NC with unwanted riding lawnmowers (cheap or free)? I'll take them off your hands. All joking aside, this was basically the way I got my Simplicity, a gift. It hadn't ran in about a year, and it took about $10 to get it going again, but it still needs a battery and a belt. So overall I don't believe I did too bad. But I got a free Craftsman push mower and I'm still trying to figure out what the problem is with the Tecumseh on it. So I guess it depends on what it is.

Another way to buy is when you see that derelect Simplicity sitting in the back of some guys yard you stop when you see the owner around and ask if he wants to buy some parts to fix it up. Most of the time they will offer to sell it to you on the spot rather than fix it. A friend got a 3212V with a hydro lift for $10 last fall doing that.

I always wondered what approach to use if and when I see one sitting looking like it needed a good home. The idea of offering to help the guy get parts to fix it is a great one. Now I won't think twice about stopping to ask about a derelict tractor..:D Dan

My best deal so far was a B210,with mower deck and barely used snowblower,and trans problems,and a B10 with a supposed rebuilt engine,and rear tiller for $250.00 And Art's right,you'll get quite a few calls from the people who think their junk is worth a mint.Playing phone tag with a guy right now with a mid 70's Sears that he's asking $200.00 for.Don't know much about it right now.