Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

amp gauge

G.Kiebler

I had to replace the regulater on my landlord,it worked when it wanted to.I checked the output voltage(on the replacement)at wide open throttle and it had 13.4v. the amp needle was pegged past +10 on the gauge.When I return to idle it is showing -2 amp discharge.I can't remember my other machines amp needle doing this.Could it be the battery is not fully charged.It does show 12.48v at idle.

I'm really looking forward to answer(s) to this question! My 712 amp meter sits dead center and hardly quivers? When the weather turned really cold, the battery did not have enough energy to start the tractor but once jump started and warmed up it could keep repeat starting over the course of the day. I think a new battery is in the near future but still wonder about the amp gauge reading. Dan

An Amp guage only gives chargeing rate. A volt meter gives a better indication of Battery condition and charging. When you turn your key on with a volt meter it will tell the volts in the battery. Should be 12.5-13.5 With engine running it will tell the volts in a battery being charged. An Amp guage can allso short out and cause a fire. A 12-12.5 reading wile runing is not charging. It should read 13.5-14.5

removing your ammeter will break the charging/run circuit on your tractor. If you want to do this you will need to connect the two wires that fasten to the back of the ammeter together after the ammeter is removed. Connect the voltmeter positive (+) to those two wires then, connect the voltmeter negative (-) to a good engine/chassis ground.

To remove the ammeter, just remove the two wires and connect them together. To install a volt gage it goes from the switched side of the ignition and ground.

It sounds like the regulator is not properly adjusted. It can put out the recommended voltage but still put out the incorrect amount of amperage. If it is charging high enough to "peg" the ammeter needle (assuming the ammeter is operating correctly), it is charging at too high of a rate, regardless of voltage. If you continue to operate at the high amperage rate, you can burn out the starter/generator. It's been so long since I have worked on these that I can't recall how to adjust the current. I know the point gap on the current regulator has to be correct, and the adjustment is made by changing the spring tension on the points. Some models allow spring adjustment with a screw, and others you must bend the spring hook on the points. I believe there is an article by Al Eden in the "service" section of the SimpletrACtors site that will take you into more detail. Pat

Gary, I think your problem with the ammeter going negative is more of cut-out relay mis-adjustment issue. It's purpose is to open-circut the "A" or armature wire to the battery when the output of the S/G falls below a preset voltage (~~12.6 volts?). This condition happens when the S/G RPM's drop below a point(ie engine at idle), and were it not for that relay, would otherwise start to drain the battery--ie running in starter mode. Voltage output is proportional to RPM's. Ammeters are fine to tell you where the power in the 12volt system is going: in/+ if net charging; out/- if net discharging. Tom(PK)

Go with Pat's recommendation and check out Al Eden's article(s) on generators and regulators. Pat and Tom (PK) are correct regarding the current regulator and cut-out relay. My 2 cents.