Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Cold cold starting

callwill

During the winter i have almost always needed to use a shot of starting fluid/spray to get my tractor going. I am looking for a simpler way to do this than to take off the air cleaner each & every time. It became more difficult with one of my tractors that seemed to develop alot of icing aroung the carb & linkages; I made a simple sheet metal shroud to shield out snow & retain warmth for melting- it made getting at the carb/air cleaner more difficult. I have another tractor that the hood covers part of the air cleaner assembly making it difficult to remove & replace easily. Anybody dealt with this problem & developed an easy workaround?

William, I don't have that problem on any of my B/S or Kohler engines, and we have had a very cold winter in VA this year. Sounds like your choke may not be completely sealing the air flow so that it makes the engine pick up sufficient extra fuel. This could be because of a misaligned plate, excess wear around the choke shaft or the plate, or a vacuum leak. It could also mean that your engine is timed too fast. Only time I have used starting fluid is when the choke is not working.

These old cast iron engines start amazingly well in cold weather. I learned the proper technique right here. Try this on the next cold start: Don't open the throttle wide, Move your throttle control just until you see the plate shaft move. Apply full choke and hit the key. If you still need to have a shot to get going I'd suggest checking the timing as Rod said. Hope this helps. Steve

I have a welder (Onan engine) that started real hard too. I was using either but it kind of scares me a little. I found that even though the plugs looked good and sparked good, a new set of plugs, fixed my problem. I am still scratching my head.? Ken

I usually just crack open my throttle & apply full or near full choke. I've never fiddled with timing on any of my 3 tractors & one had an electronic ign that i installed. I am thinking about drilling a hole and putting some kind of removable plug in the air cleaner cover.

Be real careful with that idea of a removable plug in the air cleaner. You could create an explosive atmosphere inside the air cleaner and have a small explosion and fire. I would try making my engine start on it own before I started relying on starting fluid/either. I do jump start my tractor on really cold days (below zero) using a full size car battery. Good Luck!!:) If you do the plug thing, Pictures and a test report would be helpful to others.:D Dan

I was trying to start a van that had an ignition problem. I gave it a shot of starting fluid, and when it fired it split the muffler wide open. Kinda scarry and very hard on your ears.