Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Horizontal vs. Vertical

Stoneheartfarm

Stoneheartfarm
This has probably been discussed before, but I have noticed that vertical shaft engines appear less expensive than horizontal engines. Is this due to popularity? Or are the vertical engines easier to build? Steve

Vertical shaft engines in tractors are usually in lighter duty applications, such as in a lawn tractor or light duty garden tractor. Horizontal shafted engines are designed for use in direct drive (shaft type) applications, such as heavy-duty garden tractors, and heavy tillers. Go and look at a Craftsman garden tractor and compare it to one of your Simplicities. In my opinion, horizontal shaft engines are a little harder to work on than a vertical type.

Stoneheartfarm
From what I've seen of prices, I figured the vertical shaft engines were just about throw aways.

Have you looked at the new Simplicitys lately? The new Landlords {Prestige} are now vertical shafts as well. The dealer didn't have a Legecy on the floor,so not sure if they are. I would think that it would be easier to manufacter a direct drive system versus a belt drive. Then again Harley uses a belt drive, won't be long and I will need to adjust the belt guides on my truck I suppose.

What goes around comes around (pardon the pun) remember the Model T Ford transmission. Dan

thedaddycat
One of the "Hot" things in automotive trannys is the CVT(Continuously Variable Transmission), which is supposed to match the power/torque to the load for better economy and less pollution. I don't know all that much about them, just read a few articles. From what I got out of the articles, it works something like a snowmobile drive. This is similar to the variable drive on my 3310, except that the tractors are manually controlled vs. computer controlled for a CVT or inertia controlled for a snowmobile. I guess that old saw still holds true, "The more things change, the more they stay the same............."