Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Rattle can orange

Just thought I'd pass this along. I have found that ACE Hardware Rust Stop paint, has a color called Allis Chalmers Orange #17132. This is a "dead-on" match (at least it is with my Landlord), considering it comes out of a spray can. At $3.49 for a 15oz can, it might be worth a look-see. Jim

Juggler, Which year Landlord would you be talking about? My 64 Landlord has 3 different colors :D Although I know which one it's suppose to have on this year. I do know years after this they changed tints. I'm just hoping your talking about somewhere in my color range. Kris

Mine is a '66. I took off one of the side panels, and on the backside, where the paint was in fairly good condition, I sprayed half the panel. In the sunlight, it was dead-on. I can't say for sure mine has never been repainted. It's been rode hard and put away wet... but I believe it to be original paint. As I said, might be worth a look-see.

mowerman1193
I was looking at the paint at Ace one day and thought that color looked pretty close by the color chip but was not sure.I was looking at the gallons though as I will use a spray gun.The person behind the counter told me that if I bring in a peice that they can match it up for me with a computor matching machine.I think thats where I will get my paint, at $23 for a gallon should be enough to paint all 3-4 of my tractors and their attachments.Going to try to use the hardener from the TSC store. Would really like to use auto paint but... a quart cost more than this gallon and I have alot of stuff I want to paint.

mowerman1193, You might want to buy a quart and do some testing before buying a custom tinted gallon of the Ace RustStop paint. I'll be the first to admit that my experience in using sprayers is limited, actually that would be a generous description, but I had a lot of trouble getting the thinned paint to shine and flow well. If you read the can you'll notice it says to not thin unless necessary, and then use thinner sparingly. Based on talking with a few guys here at work who have lots of experience in painting cars, the agreement was that you shouldn't expect to get an automotive quality finish from cheap paint. If possible, take a look at PPG Omni paint. From what I have gathered, it appears to be very easy to use and not that expensive. If you do go with the Rust Stop paint, please let me know how it works for you, although I might feel even worse about my ability to use a spray gun. Juggler, I have a '67 Landlord and the RustStop Allis Orange seemed a little to orange to me. I ended up buying some Safety Red of the same brand and made my own custom tint, I like to call it "Mike's feeble attempt." MadMike

mowerman1193
Guys,Take a look in my gallery photos at the MF12.The hood does have a better shine to it and it dried out alot faster.I mixed about 25% reducer in it.That paint is basiclly the same mix as the Ace paint.I did not reduce that paint on the rear fenders or on the gray/silver parts but reduced it with a fast dry enamel reducer on the hood.I also used automotive type (Dupont Centary) hardener in this paint.I will use the hardener from TSC this time though as its alot cheaper.I only used Dupont as I had it left over from a job I did. I have been around a spray gun since I was in diapers LOL.My family ran a bodyshop out of our garage.I started painting cars at the age of 13.I have thought about using PPG's Omni paint but the local jobber that sells it is 50 miles to travel to get it and its not so much cheaper that it would really be worth it.Dupont has an off brand paint as well but like I said its not that much cheaper.I would use it for sure if it was going to be a show only tractor but I plan on using these for now.If I was going to show it I would use Sherwin Williams two stage base coat clear coat.

Kris have you tried Farm-Fleet out by you? Their AC orange seems to be a good match for circa 70's.

Bob, Seems that I have but I can't remember what the outcome was. If I remember right it was a little too orange for the 717. I saw a color in a rattle can the other day in a auto parts store down the road I that wanted to try, but haven't gotten back there yet.

Check out the paint on my AC 712 project. It is Chevy Engine Orange from a can. It has a very good shine. http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=14243 Only problem I have had is the number of cans that it takes to paint a whole tractor. Don't get fooled by the color in the photos, it is not really that red. It is actually a very good match to the areas under the stickers.