Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Attachment Help

jrichason

Hi Everybody, I have a big job to do this spring and am not sure what attachment(s) would be best to use. I'm hoping you guys can give me some advice! I want to clear a path down to our lake. It is about 300 feet away and I want to clear a path about 15 feet wide to include a walking path and plants on the side. The area is currently overgrown with mostly weeds and some very small trees. I'll cut the small trees with a chain saw. I was thinking of trying to rent a sickle mower to use to cut the weeds but then I saw a post by DougM that showed the work he did in his pine grove using a blade. Would a blade work to clear out weeds too? Would a serated blade like Dutch has shown work better than a regular blade? Would it be best to push or pull the blade? Thanks for any advice you can offer. I'm looking forward to putting the old 7116 through it's paces! John

What attachments do you already have? Cutting the trees with a chainsaw and whacking the weeds with a string trimmer or old push mower will get you started. If you have a moldboard plow, you could turn the ground to remove the stumps and roots and then grade it with a blade.

Hi Dutch, I have a blade but not a plow. I think I saw one recently in the classifieds though. Thanks, John

I think you'll need more than a blade to remove stumps and roots. But try it. You could also cut everything down then bring in more fill or gravel and push it around with your blade. Building the path up higher than the surrounding ground may be best in the long run anyway.

I think you could use round-up where you don't want plants i.e. the walkway, then remove the weeds/roots/trees where you want to grow plants. The roundup could kill the stuff out plus you wouldn't have to worry about weeds growing up through your walk way. Just a thought. -BradW

[:0]You have to be real real real careful with chemicals around a lake. I would never use round up near a lake.:( Never Never. Dan

Hi Guys, Thanks for the input. I agree about using chemicals around the lake. Another little wrinkle is that the lake is a peat lake, so the area where I'm going to put the walk path is kind of spongy. It's not wet, but you can feel it move when you walk. Does anybody know if this plow will fit my 7116(http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/classDetail.asp?id=2640)? I also have a tiller I could try. The previous owner said he was never able to get it to work, but maybe my luck would be better. Thanks again for your suggestions. Later, John