Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Homesteaders 6,7 and 8 and Squires

mwells

I was wondering which of the homesteaders are the rearest or even if there very rare at all. I checked the regestry and I saw 2 homesteader 8's, 1 7hp, and 0 6hp. I also have a Squire 9 and was wondering if its worth fixing up or not. Thanks.

I just purchased a Homesteader7 this past Saturday.Haven't updated my registry in a while.Ya don't see a lot of them around.

I've got a Squire 6 I'm redoing right now. I've put a B/S 10hp. engine in it. It went in just like it was at home. No hood or grill mods. Started out I got it for my son to mow yards with it this summer and its now snow balled into two tractors a snow blower and a set of gang mowers. In just a few months!! [:0] It is allot of fun.

Michael, I have a Homesteader 8...great little machine, ultra-simple, functional, and I feel better about banging around with it than with my B-112. It's worked quite well for me dragging around a homemade 12 volt spray rig with a 12 foot boom, a spreader/seeder, and using the small front blade I have on it. Aside from more power, from what I can tell the 8 horse model is a much more robust little devil then the smaller versions. I sure haven't seen any of them floating around, but then again there isn't much in the way of small AC equipment in my neck of the woods. By the by, I just sent a check off for an original owner's manual for the Homesteader 8 I found on e-bay...let me know and I can photocopy it if you do get one of 'em and want the paperwork.

I've got a 61 Wards Squire. Same as a Simplicity 725. In my family, this one is the favored machine, by both my sons and myself. It is a long way from original with a 14 Hp Kohler 23x10.5 AG tires, wide rear fenders transplanted from a Dynamark, and many more upgrades. It is strong and will work right along with the AC 716H that I currently use and the AC 712S that I am building. I have a 42 inch mower, a 10 inch bottom plow, and a 46 inch sickle bar mower for it. We used it for tractor pulling for over 15 years, but now it has been retired to become a family work tractor. Most of the modifications were made out of necessity, before this site was even established. Simplicity machines are relatively rare in this area. Mostly green and yellow/white around here. The later model AC tractors are slightly more common.

I have a Homesteader 8, It was what got me hooked on AC/Simlpicity. Its powerful for its size and it pulls implements that are rated for todays 18-20HP garden tractors such as a four foot tandem disk with 2 cement blocks on it, although I think it was a bit much because the transmission belt is now streched a bit. As far as rarity I have seen more 8t's than 7's but I cant sa for sure. There are two styles of the 8. The early model prior to serial #26401001 is the rarer,I'm pretty sure. It was only made one year I believe. I think any of them are worth fixing up but personaly I prefer the Homesteader8. Hope this helps. -Chris