Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

big 10 transmission

slippery

when you put in to gear it wants to grind with the cluch in . What could be the problm. some times it works fine ?

Grinding when shifting usually means that the rear driven pulley on the transmission is still spinning (it's an unsynchronized transmission). The first two things to check, IMO, are: 1. The brake adjustment... is the brake stopping the transmission from spinning 2. The belt stops... they're often missing from older machines, and this allows the belt to still engage the drive pulley on the bevel gear box, allowing it to move even when clutched.

Check the front pulley guard. It should be no more than about 1/8 inch from the belt, when the clutch is not depressed. Also check to see that the idler is moving far enough to release the belt. The brake may be too tight, or the idler may be mounted in the wrong hole. There are two holes about an inch apart on my Wards 3-speed. I had lots of belt problems till I found the second hole and moved the idler.

Here's a link on belt stops > http://www.simpletractors.com/club2/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=10333 Sometimes it's very helpful to just sit and study what's happening when machinery is activated and deactivated. Understanding what is supposed to be happening, as opposed to what is (or is not) happening, will be the solution to correcting the problem. [img]http://home.att.net/~herb.niewender/belt-stop.jpg[/img]

Dutch, That is an excellent illustration of how the belt is released. I can't count the number of times that people have asked me to look at their tractors because the clutch won't release. First thing I find is that all of the belt guides have been removed. I have to laugh when the guy says he threw them away.

thank you all very much . AS soon as i get my garage up . in april ps all the gards are their

One thing no one mentioned was to be sure you have the correct belt. After market belts are know to not work ask good as OEM belts.