Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

New way to warm up engine

Tom_Byrne

We got five inches of snow here in NW New Jersey today. As usual, the old 707 was too cold to start.:(! I tried somthing new: I had a bunch of old steam irons laying around. I plugged one in and put it next to the engine on a board. 1 1/2 hours later, she started right up! Seemed to work a lot faster than the light bulb. Thought I'd pass it along.:D

Karl_Brandt
Tom sounds like a good use for a steam iron that might not get alot of use these days.^ My Simplicity 3416H starts right up all the time,until the battery dies.;) There was only snow flurries up here today. Karl

quote:
Originally posted by Tom_Byrne
I tried somthing new: I had a bunch of old steam irons laying around. I plugged one in and put it next to the engine on a board. 1 1/2 hours later, she started right up! Seemed to work a lot faster than the light bulb. Thought I'd pass it along.:D
At 1200 watts for an iron vs. 100 watts for a bulb, it should work 12 times faster.

Dutch, Wish it did work 12 times faster! Normally I throw a tarp over it for the bulb but I was nervous about fire with the iron. Bulb: 3 hours. Iron: 1 1/2.:D Nice military creases too!8D

Hello Tom! Do you still use 30 weight oil in the winter time? I never used 5W30 for a while, I tried it and wow, it cranked like never before. I imagine you could use synthetic to help too? I use synthetic in my new Simplicity and it is a night and day difference, it runs cooler and the oil stays in good condition longer, I still change at the same intervels though. Maybe you could give it a try? -BradW

RonRobinson
Wouldn't you use more oil if you used synthetic? The manual says you will use more oil. I wanted to use synthetic but haven't yet in my legacy. Ron

Hi Ron, my new Simplicity which is a 2000 Regent has a 14 HP Kohler with overhead valves. Those motors call for a multi-viscosity motor oil, and I use synthetic in it because it holds up to heat better and flows better. If you use multi-weight oil in cool weather it will not consume oil like it would in the summer, honestly, if your rings are worn, when you motor warms up the piston expands and the oil doesn't make it up into the cylinder. -BradW