Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Tired of Snow???

MPH

Just reading some of the posts you all made about blowing the snow I saw you got on the news while I was in Dutch. If your really getting tired of it, maybeeeeeee, you should move to Anchorage, They hauled snow into town for the fur rondy and the Idarod start. Must addmit, you guys back east been hammered this year. MPH

thedaddycat
I don't mind it at all. I grew up in Michigan so what we got, while a lot by Connecticut standards, didn't seem like it was too bad to me. I usually plow it so it was a treat to get the three-belt blower out and play. I got a lot of looks, especially when I told folks that I was using a 1961 tractor and blower. Who'd have ever thought that Alaska would be "importing" snow in February or March???? LOL

Yup I've still got 3' in places where the sun doesn't get. Tried to get a tractor today got only halfway through the yard and got the other tractor stuck on top of 2'+. The only thing my ramps were good for today was getting the tractor unstuck. Maybe May before it's all gone:(. There's also 2' of ice on the lake, great if you like ice fishing. Last year we had open water about this time.[:0] I'm going skiing tommorrow so I won't think about it.:p Marty if you guys need some snow I'de be happy to send a tanker full of liquid snow...........

Marty-they also had to change the route of the race.Daddycat-I am from Michigan too...this year in Pa. could stand up to the lower peninsula for most years-still have over a foot,and it has been warm(50) past few days.Where I moved the snow in the dog yard and by the barn is a muddy mess-spread 6 bales of straw today,after seeding.I will be doing lots of "lawn repair" this spring!(been spoiled).Johny bucket sure came in handy,though!

Marty, I haven't "enjoyed" snow since it stopped being an excuse for me not to go to school. But it doesn't "bother" me enough to move.

Marty, I really don't like winter that much, But I'm making the most of it. I get some enjoyment out of shooting the snow up in the air and watching it go away

Charlie, Seems like every time we got snow it got about a foot deep around our dog house:p spent some time keeping that cleaned off with the blower8D^

powerking_one
Too much snow this year indeed! Talk about being imaginative(no the display isn't mine). Tom(PK)

Mike-if you have a dog in that doghouse,the more snow around it the better-(unless it's a husky!).Snow is a great insulator-just make them a path and someplace to go.I see so many short/medium hair dogs chained out to a doghouse,in the bitter cold-without adequate bedding and/or protection from the wind because it's blowing right in the door,and the house is too big for the dog to warm it up with body heat.I don't chain dogs,but if you do-at least give enough bedding & protection so they don't suffer.The best doghouse for winter,and the direction it is facing,are opposite for winter and summer.Smaller and warmer facing south for winter,bigger and ventilated facing north for summer.(the "dogloos" are pretty good).Also-dogs need just as much or more fresh water in winter.I see 2 boxers pretty close to me,each chained to their own house with some wet old rags for bedding-water bowls usually dumped over-looking out and shivering constantly,just miserable-But the owners aren't breaking the law,technically...like to see them naked and suffering out there for one day,like they put the dogs through-that would fix that! Dadgummit!,if the dog looks miserable,he probably IS...DUH!-CJ dogman

Just got a PM from Mike-he has a good set up facing south with plenty of straw and a windbreak-his dog(JJ)should be thankful to be owned by someone who cares about his welfare.Not exactly a topic for the tractor forum,but a reminder to look out for our K9 buds when it's cold...(and when it's hot!).

Here's my dogs' winter quarters, during the daytime, except in extreme temps, weather. It's located on a covered porch. Has a 100 watt lightbulb for heat, and was made with a pallet among other stuff that was being tossed at work. Stays pretty toasty for em'.

Terry-Holy Toledo-there have been times when I would pay $100 a month for that "box"!(for ME).How about some pics inside?....(big screen,jacuzzi)-Right On~!

I used to like snow, but with todays weather tracking, the plow trucks clear the roads before I can even think about not having school! I am ready to go to my grandpa's house and disc some bean fields and mow some pastures, nothing like getting a springtime farmers tan on a tractor and a big jug of sweet tea to cool you down! (distantly remembering kenny chesney song "she thinks my tractors' sexy!" -BradW

I never had a problem with snow, but this year got to me, both home and at work. At home it drifted like never before, making it almost impossible to use any of my toys to move it. Needed a friends backhoe a couple of times. At work, the plowing contractor lost his contract and the Government decided to make due with thier own dpw guys, which is five men to plow and salt a 6,500 acre military base. Needless to say, they worked constantly but just could not keep up, making our patrols almost impossible. In the last three weeks we lost five men to injuries, one patrol car totaled and two others badly damaged. So yes, I CAN'T WAIT TILL SPRING!!!!!!!