Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Part it out or restore it?

Kent

This seems to be frequently faced question on some of these older tractors. (I may be facing it myself soon, since I'm now planning to buy a non-running tractor soon just to get the implements that come with with it.) I'd like to "capture the thoughts" of others who've faced the same decision.... I think it would be valuable information to some of us who haven't faced it before. 1. What was the condition of the tractor that caused you to part it out? What factors weighed in your decision? 2. If you've tried fixing it, and later regretted the time/money/problems involved, what was the original condition, and why do you now regret it? 3. Would you make the same decision again? Thanks for your input!

I have repaired several tractors and put them back in service. Some of the questions I ask my customers are. Do you like the tractor? What attachements do you have for it? Will a newer lighter duty tractor do what you want to do? I have found there are several reasons that people want to rebuild. I have a few who have equipment that was in the family and want to keep it running for that reason. Sometimes the best way to repair is to get a used unit and rob what you need to fix the one you have. I have used one tractor to get as many as five others going. Larry

Cost to fix these old tracs is the foremost problem most people face!A good supply of quality USED parts then becomes a viable option.[Now if I could only find someone who deals in Sim/AC used stuff!? ] dlc

I agree somewhat with the above members on whether to part out or restore a Simpilicity/AC. One good thing is that so many models have parts that interchange. I have bought "junk" AC's to get parts for a Simplicity. In making my decsion as to whether to part out or restore, the main factor is how complete is the tractor. Engines are the easiest to get parts for so is not the major cosideration. The most important element to me is the transmission. If it is functioning well and the frame and sheet metal are good, it is usually a candidate for restoration. If it has a bad tranny, it is generally going to be a parts tractor. I generally deal with the 7000 and 3300 series of Simpliciities, so any implements can usuallu be adapted to fit any tractor I have. Each tractor usually has only one or two tasks assigned to it, such as one being a mower and another pulls a tiller and pushs a snowblade. That way I am not continuously changing back and forth.

I agree with DLC - a key motivating factor is a readily available "set of parts" at relatively low cost. Compared to the cost of a few regualr parts one can often find an entire tractor. Another benefit is acquiring tractor options to support implements; and/or acquiring the implements themsevles as in Kent's cas. I have found a downside however. I recently paid $200. for a running (barely) Simplicity tractor. I bought it to be my "parts bin". However, I find that these tractors are made so well that my "parts" tractor could be a full functioning machine with only a slight investment of - you guessed it - new parts from $implicity. I can't seem to leave the "parts" tractor to be just parts. I find I have to meet the challenge of making it functional again. But no regrets. Its fun.

Everyone has a very good answer's and experience's also. Just one example for me as to many of the same as I had worked part time at a Simplicity dealership for about 6 years and could have the pick of the litter so to speak for the write price even. I bought a Sim. 3212 that I thought would be a good one to restore as it ran but burned oil. I was able to drive it and check everything out and thought it would make a good tractor. After rebuilding the engine-mower deck you know giving it the good once over-giving a well let's just say a proventive rust protected paint job and everything was going "great"mowering lawns- using the tiller that came with it. Plus the grader blade was alot of fun and the bonus being able to sell the vacum sucking grass and leaf system for more then I paid for the tractor and all attachment's that came with it. Down side-yes it happened while least expecting it the axle tube broke while using the tiller. Man oh man did it break-the tube broke off about 2" inside the trans housing and broke a big chunk out of it where the tube exits it on the diff. side. Well everyone knows how easey it is to get vicker parts write "NOT" so easy. So the decision had to be made what to do with all the work and money I put into this tractor. Keep the atachments that I really wanted and part it out yes sir that's what I did. But I kept the goodies-engine and bevel gear box just for you know the day another one comes along. About 2-1/2 months later another 3212 for $225 with you guessed it a engine that burned oil. So here I go again but before it gets that paint job it's getting a good work out and hopefully everything holds up. If not I will still have another parts tractor with a new engine and just keep moving on to the next. Mean while it seems like I am moving on up to the newer and larger framed tractors as the older ones are getting so hard to find in my area. And like Bill says about using a couple of tractors to do different jobs to me for the money makes sence at least explaining it that way to my better half is anyway as we all need an excuse in one way or another to keep on tractoring with these oldies but goodies.Thank to all->happyjack<-

I have "rescued" two AC's from the junkyard. I am glad that I restored both of these tractors.... but, from an economics standpoint it may be questionable. By the time you buy the junker, replace parts, buy paint, tires or whatever else you need, you will probably have at least $500 in the tractor. If you just want to sit around and look at it, fine, but if you use it, like I do, you still have a 30 year old piece of equipment. Anything that old will give some trouble and will most likely not stand up to much abuse. I do believe that the old AC/Simplicities are a much better value that a department store type, they will out last them for sure. Heck, I guess that they are the best, it just gets tiring fixing old equipment. Forget everything I said, fix up the old AC's, just dont buy one with a shuttle transmission!