Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

An evolution from spout rotator project

roma3112

guys I am in the middle of my spout rotator project, sitting at the table this morning i got to thinking about how hard it would be to control the angle of the chute-deflector electrically. I was wondering if any of you have seen machines with this feature. I know some of the machines we sell at work have a cable set up to change this chute angle, but i was thinking of some kind of dc linear actuator ? What do you guys think (other than i am crazy and have too much time on my hands) :p thanks john

thedaddycat
I think it's definitely a workable idea, but how practical would it be? In other words, how often do you change the angle of deflection on the chute? I never do, where as I rotate the spout fairly frequently. Even if you find an actuator with control switch and wiring for let's say $50, would the amount of use be worth it? Maybe you'd use it a lot if you had it, but then again how much do you really need to adjust the angle now?

Definately workable. Practicality? That's hard to say. I have a hydraulically controlled deflector on our large, 8' snowblower. It's great. For example, when the wind is right so the cloud of snow blows all over the tractor cab, I can pretty much eliminate the problem by adjusting the deflector. I believe once it's installed, you would use it a lot more than you think. Pat

not having a snow cab on my machine makes that cloud of snow a great in conveinence especially when you get it in the face and it freezes to your eyeglasses :( Actually where i live i find myself changing the angle of the chute quite often because of various houses passageways and windows i often need to aviod blowing snow to high and risk hitting or burying the neighbors house or cars. I am still working out the bugs on the spout rotator and after that is done i will look for some actuator or somthing that may work for me. If anybody knows of any surplus place that may have somthing i can use drop me a line. thanks john b

I was just thinking about this today. How odd... Anyway, I thought I might try the cable route as I've seen on some other blowers. I would use 2 light bicycle type cables though and go with a push-pull configuration. With the cable ends attached to the blower nozzle at either side of the pivot bolt and the opposite ends connected to a control lever, one cable on each side of the levers pivot point. This should allow you to aim the nozzle with ease. 2 long cables and some brackets should be all you'd need. As for how useful this feature is, once you've had it, you will not want to go without it. I had this capability on a walk behind tracked snowblower I traded for the AC917H and I miss it dearly. At least I can manually rotate the spout from the seat, but it really sucks to have to disengage the pto, stop the tractor, get off, adjust the chute, etc, etc. it explains why people hardly ever change the angle.

i agree totally i think w want to try the "wired route" or at least try to see how hard it would be to engineer and how much $$$ it will be. Since the machine is soo new if i can avoid any holes it will be a plus. :) I will look into it more once i have the spout rotator working. As far as that goes i am trying to make time to build the wireing harness for it, o got the relay i needed yest i just need to seal up the motor with sillicone and get some wire at rat shack.

You could try a spring to return the spout and only run one cable. The biggest trick on this seems to be dealing with the rotation of the spout. When I thought about it, it seemed that the mechanism would need to be mounted on the spout to work acceptably.

A couple of thoughts just occured to me on the use of either a linear actuator or a cable system. In either case, you would have to replace the large lock washers on the pivot with regular flat washers. The nuts or "handles" would have to be replaced with self locking nuts. Wouldn't be needed with the linear actuator, but I would think you would need friction washers added for a cable setup to keep it tight enough so that the force of the snow would not push the deflector up. Pat

I too thought about the force of the snow possibly moving the deflector but thought you could control that motion from the control lever end. IE notches, etc. if there were 2 cables, if the handle didn't move, the deflector couldn't move. I also thought about a single cable and a spring return but if the deflector ever became slightly "frozen", you have to rely on the strength of the spring, with 2 cables you could muscle it free in either direction.

I was worried about freezing when I installed my spout rotator. I have stored my tractor outside for the last month during the last round of snow, ice, freezing rain, etc. What I found was there was enough heat coming off the engine that even if the spout was frozen in place, after a few minutes of running it unfroze.

How about a single joystick control that controlled both the spout rotator and the angle of the chute? That would add a whole new "Nintendo" dimension to snow-blowing. I can see it now... "I can hit that tree from 30 feet..." "I can fill my nasty neighbor's truckbed while I politely clean his sidewalk..." "Can I completely cover his steps as I drive by?" "Wonder how far I can chase that dog..." Etc.

i was thinkin about borrowing my neighbors "fishstick" off his new 9ft fisher plow :)

I mounted a new blower on a new simplicity prestige this fall and it had a cable controled deflector.It worked really nice,I would think if you went to a dealer you could get a better idea by looking at one or some pictures of one.

great pic maynard That will be some good food for thought if i choose to tackle that aspect of the blower. Right now i am trying to make time to build the wire harness for the spout rotator.