Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Engine starting problem

Sounds like valve problems. From my experance I would guess the valves are leaking and you are not getting enough compression at low speeds to make the engine start. You might check the valve clearance ans see if it is at spec. If not the valves will have to be pulled to grind off the ends so you might as well grind the valves and seats while you are at it. The reason the engines runs at speed there is still enough seal at higher speeds to make the engine fire the fuel in the cylinder. I would bet you are down on power also. You can check the engine with an air tester to see if it is valves or blowby on the rings. You might have a head gasket leaking. What ever you need to check it out. Larry

I have a 7 HP briggs and stratton engine on my Simplicity broadmore. I rebuilt the Carb and added a magentronic conversion kit to replace the magento. Everything worked fine this summer and the engine would start almost immediately. Now when I try to start it, it taks a long time. I have to leave the throttle in the lowest setting and after it warms up a little I can stop the electric starte and it will run. this keeps happening with a cold engine. Any suggestions?

Another possible problem for hard starts is a partially sheared flywheel key. When you did the magnatron conversion, did you torque the flywheel nut to spec? I don't know the spec on your engine off the top of my head, but mine is 190 foot-lbs, and without a flywheel clamp, or a creative block of wood, that's too much torque to be able to hold the flywheel with one hand, probably even with two. I just re-attached my flywheel on my 12 horse, and I didn't have the 1.25 inch deep socket to enable me to use my torque wrench, so I did the best I could with a monkey wrench. Fortunately, I found the socket I needed the next day, and when I checked the torque, I found that the monkey wrench had only torqued the nut to about 90 foot-lbs. I'm glad I found the socket!!! Greg

Thanks for replying. But my problem seems to be the reverse. It will start with the throttle turned all the way down. It wont start with it turned up until the engine gets warm. After it starts and runs a little it will run and start at any throttle setting.

Thanks for the tip on the flywheel, but I did'nt have to touch it. The Briggs & Stratton magnatronic conversion bolts on the same place that the coli came from. You jyst clip the wire that comes out from under the flywhee, adjust the gap and your done.

Have you tried cleaning the ground attachments? I had a similar thermal related problem which was cured by improved ground attachment.