Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Dating a b-10

tractormike

tractormike
I just came across either a b-10 or a big-10. It has been painted maroon and all the old decals have been sanded off. I found these numbers stamped in the right front part of the fender, 10 and below that 029424. If this is the serial number I have searched this site and the registry and found it to be around a 1964 or 1965 which could be a b-10 or a big-10. It has a briggs 23D engine with these numbers on it 0129 02 8450. Can anyone help me pin down what year and model it is? It runs but smokes and it came with a snowblower in very good condition. I plan on restoring it this summer and would like to know which model it is. Many thanks in advance for any help!

Mike, If that is the original engine in the tractor it would have to be an early B-10, nine hp. The Big Ten had a 243431, 10 hp engine.

Look in the A-C section and look up the B-10 early and B-10 late, that should give you a better idea. Plus a rough guess on year would be from dating the engine. -BradW

Mike, I just recently got one with all the decals, 23d engine early big ten decal on hood, mdl. 024971 engine type 0129-02, #63493. Its 9 h.p. 63-64. Yours has an earlier no. so it might be alittle older. hope this helps Roger

Hi Mike, I began dating my B-10 after meeting on Ebay. We finally got hitched, and I have not looked back since. These machines are attactive, loyal and hard-working, they are not afraid to clean-up after you....and they will not drink your beer. Good luck.

Yep, you have to be careful dating these old machines -- they're definitely looking for a commitment... and they like to multiply....

Mike, I would look at the steering gears and clutch linkages. For the first couple of years they were different then the later years on the B-10 and Landlord. The steering gears had a major change of design and would be the quickest way to tell the year. Download a manaul and it will show the difference.

tractormike
Thanks for all the help! After dating this b-10 to being a 1964 model, I made a big mistake. I put her in the same garage as my B-1 and now I am in big trouble. The B-1 is suing me for divorce as she saw me with the B-10. And to make matters worse, she wants full custody of the 2 little simplicities,half of everything in the garage, and gas and oil paid for for the rest of her life! I thought that playing with tractors was safe!!!!!

Mike, another place to find a date on most, can't find one on my 725, is on the rear end. Just below, and to the rear of the axle there is a casting date in the housing. Seems this would be fairly accurate. But who knows, when cleaning the orange paint off the shift rod on my 725 I found it to b-1 yellow...MPH

tanman722001
Hi not to change the subject put Art and Greg how do you get the little by your name ? Thanks tony

Hi Tony, you can shrink a pic. of one of your tractors, import it to your photo gallery. Then you can link to it from the signature box in the edit profile, in "My Area."

Hey Tony, Glad to see another member from NC. I'm not far away from you. I did most of the work on my picture in Paint Shop Pro. Then just did as Art said.