Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Question for hydraulic gurus

cranemech

Evening All, I'm in the process of reworking the hydraulic cylinders on my Ark 600 loader. I've noticed that the lift cylinders are installed so that to lift, your pressurizing the rod side of the cylinder. Also the tilt cylinders are installed so that to roll the bucket up the rod side is pressurized. My question(s) are wouldn't I have greater hydraulic advantage by swapping the cylinder(s) end for end and pressurizing the base of the cylinder (larger surface area). Does anyone see any advantage or disadvantage to this line of thinking? Thanks, Chad

To lift the loader the cylinder side has to be pressurized to extend the rod lifting the bucket.this is with either end connected to the lift arms To roll the bucket up the rod side has to be presurized to push the rod back into the cylinder. To roll the bucket down the pressure has to be on the cylinder side to push the rod out. You want the cylinder end attached to the point where the least motion in your hoses will be.

Evening All, Driving to work this morning I realized why the cylinders are mounted this way. :o) I must have imbibed too many adult beverages when I posted this 8D. Either that or too much sun, it was 68 - 70 degrees yesterday. Thanks, Chad