Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Left side wheel hub removal

KSever

Been working almost all afternoon B):(! trying to get this left side wheel hub off so I can repair the forks inside the transmission on my AC314. And Since I've never had to go this far into this kind of transmission I had to get the book out. In the book it says that you have to remove the left side hub to slide the axle out enough on the right to get the pins out of the right side. Question is can I take apart the differential housing to get at these pins rather than get the left hub off or do I have to get the left hub off?

I swapped out one of these old style set-ups for the later style without taking off this hub. You can disassemble the diff, remove all parts from the axle and pull it out the left side. I replaced mine with a late model with a welded on hub and limited slip.

Thanks for the help Rod, I wasn't for sure this would work but now I'm going to try it. Sure wish I could get that left hub off but it's not worth breaking it to get it off.

Once you get the axle out, you could probably open your vice, let the axle hang between the jaws, and the hub rest on top, then drive the axle out. You may have to do this if you do not want to buy a later model unit.