Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Roving belt

Terry9

This a repost of something I had in the coffee shop last week. We got about 8" today in RI. Nice fluffy stuff. I did my neighborly duties and did most of the street. Odd thing though, the belt from the blower kept jumping outside of one of the wire "keepers" that allow the belt to truly idle when you release the tension from the front PTO. Same side each time as well, the left side, or the side where the belt exits the CCW rotation. The wire keepers are nice and close to the PTO pulley. I have no idea when it is happening until I get off the tractor to check. Perhaps its when there is no tension and I'm driving along? Anyone?

Terry, I would closely watch everything while the machine is running with the belt engaged & disengaged. Could be a bent, worn, or loose pulley, misalignment, binding swivels, overly stiff or "set" belt. I assume the "wire" is set close (1/8") to the pulley. If all else fails, you could make your own wire with an extra bend over the face of the pulley.

You may want to make sure that you disengage the snowblower's drive and it stops turning before you raise it... If the snowblower is partially raised when you disengage it, it will provide more slack that could "jump" pretty hard and perhaps force the belt between the guide and the pulley.... Just a thought -- once I got the guides adjusted properly on mine, I haven't had a problem like yours....

Thanks Kent, I think you nailed it. The guides are within an 1/8 of an inch of the drive pulley. I probably need to slow down as you suggested, and let the blower stop being driven before I raise it. The impeller will spin on it's own for 20-30 seconds after disengaging (with the belt visibly stopped), so I guess my bearings are ok. But I will take a closer look at the other pulleys and such. Thanks Herb. Terry