Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

ChangingTractor tires

nighteye

Wow; I have about had it. I bought some new front tires this weekend and am having a heck of a time trying to mount them on the rims. Its starting to drive me nuts. Does anyone out there have any tricks that might help me keep my sanity?

Last time I changed tires on my 717 with the 6" tires I had to grease the bead on the tire and then they would go on with a little less B)}:)

I gave up fighting tire changes and purchased an inexspensive tire changer from NORTHERNTOOL.COM. If you go to the web site look under automotive - tire, wheel & brake accesories, items 13474, 13472, and 13473. I bought the heavier duty model that works great with the rear wheel with the larger center holes. To change the front tires, I use the bead breaker from the Northern tool changer and then I made rig to hold the front rims using a long bolt slightly smaller in diameter than the axle mounted on a steel plate that can be secured in a number of ways. A couple of washers and nuts will hold the rim fast so the rubber tire can be mounted without having to chase it all over the shop. The tool that comes with the purchased tire changes helps with the home made jig also. Hope that helps, Roger

Hey Nighteye, Search on my user id "arnoldir" to find a detailed post I put up last year on this topic. Good luck

I got em. Thank you all for the advice. I used some pipe joint lube. (soap) and got them on the rims. Then I put a rope around the tire and tied it in a knot and stuck a pipe in there and twisted it.(could"nt find a ratchet strap) It squeezed the tire, forcing the sidewalls out, added air and "walla", Tires were seated. Live and ask and learn. Thanks again Ken

I use dishwashing liquid as a lubricant, a couple screwdrivers, and if necessary a hammer to persuade the bead down onto the rim. I put tubes in most of my tires to eliminate the seating problems, and the re-seating problems that occur if one leaks down from sitting and pops loose from the rim.

[img]http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/photos/34500-34599/34552.gif[/img][url]http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=34552[/url] For the future, I would consider one of these, really cuts down on the busted knuckles. They often go on sale at $29.95.