Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

Simplicity Manifold Exhaust Mod

download0

Hey, do you have any pics from the distance? What was the modification done for? Looks like a good well built piece. -BradW

The modification was done because on a hot day with the muffler under the hood everything fries when using the loader or when plowing for long periods of time. You can look at my profile and in there you will find more pictures.

Stoneheartfarm
Interesting modification. I don't hink I would have thought about using square tube, primarily because every exhaust I've ever seen has been round. Steve

Fred, Thanks for the pics. What are you using to control the steering cylinder, an orbitral ? Later, Chad

Steve, alot of old farm tractors had square exhaust manifolds. My friends 1990 dodge ram with a 318 had square manifolds too. I think round is more common and flows better, but before bending machines and what not alot of square manifolds were made. -BradW

The power steering is out of a Massey Ferguson 455 wheat combine, this was a big machine. I bought the cylinder and orbital motor as a pair and the install was done without to many modifications. This improvment works very nice and I no longer get dislocated thumbs when I use the loader. The pump you see in the picture runs the loader only, the steering motor runs off the hydrostatic pump system. 8D

What size of a battery do you use with the hydro pump taking up space?? My 4040 was found with a full size car battery in it that takes up all the space..Been wondering what to replace it with..thanks.MPH

I extended the front battery carrier by 1 1/2" to accommadate a car battery 7 1/2"h x 10"w x 7"d. This then allowed enough clearance between the battery and front clutch pulley. This mod also moved the whole hood ahead by 1 1/2" but this did not present a problem. The hydraulic pump sits to one side of the battery and was not a problem.