Unofficial Home of Old Simplicity & Allis-Chalmers Garden Tractors

shroud question

bigcountry

I just got a Dynamark tiller today that the recoil string would not retract, and my Grandfather took it apart and the recoil spring just jumped out and the spool and line stayed on the spindle on the flywheel. I want to know if it is possible to put that spring back in and make the recoil work right again, without having to go to much trouble to do it. It's a 5 hp Briggs and its about 25 or 30 years old. I have a newer 5 hp Briggs that I could modify to use parts off of, but the shroud of the new one does not have the same bolt holes (on the top) that the old one does, but the bottom of both motors' shrouds match.

Oh Boy! recoil spring starters. Find a picture of it assembled if you can. Then find a comfortable chair, snacks, and your favorite beverage. I've done a few dozen of them. Doen't forget safety glasses, that spring will try pop back out when you're almost done. Good luck! Steve ( don't sweat the petty things... and don't pet the sweaty things)

Hi, it is possible and takes a length of time and patience. If you really need the spring any good briggs dealer should have it in stock. Just call and ask for it. Every recoil spring is interchangeable for the vertical motors. I have a tiller with a brigs motor on it made in 1949 with oil bath and all and it destroyed the spring one time. If you really want to, just have a mower man do it. Someone with experience should be able to do it in no time. -BradW

I talked with my shop teacher today and he showed me how to reinstall the spring in less than 5 minnutes! I was amazed at how easy it was to do. But then I found out that I need a new recoil spool for it, because the starter clutch seized up and burned out the plastic on the inside of the spool. If you want to know this technique, I can tell you, because I know how it feels to do something the long and hard way and then discover its actually very easy. Just ask me.

I fixed it a few minutes ago. I have a 7 hp briggs that the recoil pulley was the same size on and I just switched them and put the cord back in, and now I have a free, running tiller, which cost me 0 due to already having the parts on hand.